Protests against quota in promotions continues in UP
Lucknow: Employees and officials of various departments of Uttar Pradesh government continued their strike to protest against the constitutional amendment bill for reservation for SC/ST in promotion.
"Nearly 18 lakh employees and officers of various departments and corporations are participating in the work boycott to protest against constitutional amendment bill for reservation in promotion," said Shailendra Dubey, president of Sarvjan Hitay Samiti, the organisation under whose banner the protest is being held.
He said that processions were being taken out and protest meetings were being held across the state.
In Lucknow, the employees and officers took out a procession from their respective departments and would stage a demonstration in front of the Vidhan Bhawan.
The samiti has already appealed all Rajya Sabha members to vote as per their conscience.
Claiming support of Aam Aadmi Party of Arvind Kejariwal, Dubey said that the committee has send SMSes and e-mails to Rajya Sabha MPs urging them not to get the constitutional amendment bill passed in the Upper House, where it is scheduled to be taken up today.
He said in case a political party does not issue notice to its members to vote in favour of the bill, they should vote as per their conscience.
On the other hand, Arakshan Bachao Sangharsh Samiti, the organisation supporting reservation, in its emergent meeting held yesterday demanded that offices closed by anti-reservation employees should be opened amidst tight security.
Convenor of the organisation Awadhesh Kumar Verma said it has been decided that pro-reservation staff would work for additional four hours.
He said the organisation has asked all political parties to support the bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'