Protests against quota in promotions continues in UP
Lucknow: Employees and officials of various departments of Uttar Pradesh government continued their strike to protest against the constitutional amendment bill for reservation for SC/ST in promotion.
"Nearly 18 lakh employees and officers of various departments and corporations are participating in the work boycott to protest against constitutional amendment bill for reservation in promotion," said Shailendra Dubey, president of Sarvjan Hitay Samiti, the organisation under whose banner the protest is being held.
He said that processions were being taken out and protest meetings were being held across the state.
In Lucknow, the employees and officers took out a procession from their respective departments and would stage a demonstration in front of the Vidhan Bhawan.
The samiti has already appealed all Rajya Sabha members to vote as per their conscience.
Claiming support of Aam Aadmi Party of Arvind Kejariwal, Dubey said that the committee has send SMSes and e-mails to Rajya Sabha MPs urging them not to get the constitutional amendment bill passed in the Upper House, where it is scheduled to be taken up today.
He said in case a political party does not issue notice to its members to vote in favour of the bill, they should vote as per their conscience.
On the other hand, Arakshan Bachao Sangharsh Samiti, the organisation supporting reservation, in its emergent meeting held yesterday demanded that offices closed by anti-reservation employees should be opened amidst tight security.
Convenor of the organisation Awadhesh Kumar Verma said it has been decided that pro-reservation staff would work for additional four hours.
He said the organisation has asked all political parties to support the bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday