Protests against quota in promotions continues in UP
Lucknow: Employees and officials of various departments of Uttar Pradesh government continued their strike to protest against the constitutional amendment bill for reservation for SC/ST in promotion.
"Nearly 18 lakh employees and officers of various departments and corporations are participating in the work boycott to protest against constitutional amendment bill for reservation in promotion," said Shailendra Dubey, president of Sarvjan Hitay Samiti, the organisation under whose banner the protest is being held.
He said that processions were being taken out and protest meetings were being held across the state.
In Lucknow, the employees and officers took out a procession from their respective departments and would stage a demonstration in front of the Vidhan Bhawan.
The samiti has already appealed all Rajya Sabha members to vote as per their conscience.
Claiming support of Aam Aadmi Party of Arvind Kejariwal, Dubey said that the committee has send SMSes and e-mails to Rajya Sabha MPs urging them not to get the constitutional amendment bill passed in the Upper House, where it is scheduled to be taken up today.
He said in case a political party does not issue notice to its members to vote in favour of the bill, they should vote as per their conscience.
On the other hand, Arakshan Bachao Sangharsh Samiti, the organisation supporting reservation, in its emergent meeting held yesterday demanded that offices closed by anti-reservation employees should be opened amidst tight security.
Convenor of the organisation Awadhesh Kumar Verma said it has been decided that pro-reservation staff would work for additional four hours.
He said the organisation has asked all political parties to support the bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside