Protests against quota in promotions continues in UP
Lucknow: Employees and officials of various departments of Uttar Pradesh government continued their strike to protest against the constitutional amendment bill for reservation for SC/ST in promotion.
"Nearly 18 lakh employees and officers of various departments and corporations are participating in the work boycott to protest against constitutional amendment bill for reservation in promotion," said Shailendra Dubey, president of Sarvjan Hitay Samiti, the organisation under whose banner the protest is being held.
He said that processions were being taken out and protest meetings were being held across the state.
In Lucknow, the employees and officers took out a procession from their respective departments and would stage a demonstration in front of the Vidhan Bhawan.
The samiti has already appealed all Rajya Sabha members to vote as per their conscience.
Claiming support of Aam Aadmi Party of Arvind Kejariwal, Dubey said that the committee has send SMSes and e-mails to Rajya Sabha MPs urging them not to get the constitutional amendment bill passed in the Upper House, where it is scheduled to be taken up today.
He said in case a political party does not issue notice to its members to vote in favour of the bill, they should vote as per their conscience.
On the other hand, Arakshan Bachao Sangharsh Samiti, the organisation supporting reservation, in its emergent meeting held yesterday demanded that offices closed by anti-reservation employees should be opened amidst tight security.
Convenor of the organisation Awadhesh Kumar Verma said it has been decided that pro-reservation staff would work for additional four hours.
He said the organisation has asked all political parties to support the bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- BIZARRE! Panchayat slaps Rs 5 lakh fine on Haryana school after Eid celebration
- Twinkle Khanna slams Naseeruddin Shah online! - Know why
- Singapore-based company develops robot therapist to help relieve muscle strains
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh chairs high-level meeting in Kashmir
- India, Bangladesh border forces discuss issues in Tripura