Protests in UP town over damage to Ambedkar statue
Ghaziabad: Ghaziabad was tense Monday morning as residents of this town adjacent to the national capital held a demonstration protesting the desecration of a statue of BR Ambedkar, police said.
A statue of Ambedkar installed in Lathmar colony, comprising largely of Scheduled Castes, was found damaged Monday morning. The statue`s right arm was missing and was found lying quite a distance away, said police officer RK Gautam.
After seeing the damaged statue, residents of the area staged a demonstration and attempted to block traffic on the highway. The police, however, cooled their tempers and, on the instructions of the district magistrate, assured them that a new statue of the Dalit icon would be installed.
"After receiving the information we visited the spot, controlled the mob and invited them to come for a meeting with the district magistrate," Gautam said.
The District Magistrate has called a meeting of the residents at the collectorate, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling