Protests in UP town over damage to Ambedkar statue
Ghaziabad: Ghaziabad was tense Monday morning as residents of this town adjacent to the national capital held a demonstration protesting the desecration of a statue of BR Ambedkar, police said.
A statue of Ambedkar installed in Lathmar colony, comprising largely of Scheduled Castes, was found damaged Monday morning. The statue`s right arm was missing and was found lying quite a distance away, said police officer RK Gautam.
After seeing the damaged statue, residents of the area staged a demonstration and attempted to block traffic on the highway. The police, however, cooled their tempers and, on the instructions of the district magistrate, assured them that a new statue of the Dalit icon would be installed.
"After receiving the information we visited the spot, controlled the mob and invited them to come for a meeting with the district magistrate," Gautam said.
The District Magistrate has called a meeting of the residents at the collectorate, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad