Protests in UP town over damage to Ambedkar statue
Ghaziabad: Ghaziabad was tense Monday morning as residents of this town adjacent to the national capital held a demonstration protesting the desecration of a statue of BR Ambedkar, police said.
A statue of Ambedkar installed in Lathmar colony, comprising largely of Scheduled Castes, was found damaged Monday morning. The statue`s right arm was missing and was found lying quite a distance away, said police officer RK Gautam.
After seeing the damaged statue, residents of the area staged a demonstration and attempted to block traffic on the highway. The police, however, cooled their tempers and, on the instructions of the district magistrate, assured them that a new statue of the Dalit icon would be installed.
"After receiving the information we visited the spot, controlled the mob and invited them to come for a meeting with the district magistrate," Gautam said.
The District Magistrate has called a meeting of the residents at the collectorate, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference