Protests in UP town over damage to Ambedkar statue
Ghaziabad: Ghaziabad was tense Monday morning as residents of this town adjacent to the national capital held a demonstration protesting the desecration of a statue of BR Ambedkar, police said.
A statue of Ambedkar installed in Lathmar colony, comprising largely of Scheduled Castes, was found damaged Monday morning. The statue`s right arm was missing and was found lying quite a distance away, said police officer RK Gautam.
After seeing the damaged statue, residents of the area staged a demonstration and attempted to block traffic on the highway. The police, however, cooled their tempers and, on the instructions of the district magistrate, assured them that a new statue of the Dalit icon would be installed.
"After receiving the information we visited the spot, controlled the mob and invited them to come for a meeting with the district magistrate," Gautam said.
The District Magistrate has called a meeting of the residents at the collectorate, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!