Question hour in UP Assembly adjourned over cane price issue
Lucknow: Opposition parties in Uttar Pradesh on Monday created uproar in the Assembly and forced adjournment of entire question hour, demanding increase in cane prices and payment of dues to farmers.
As soon as the House met at 11 am, BJP members jumped into the Well of the House with placards demanding fixation of cane price at Rs 350 per quintal and payment of Rs 2,400 crore cane dues to farmers.
They raised slogans against the state government alleging apathetic attitude towards the cane growers.
BJP members also asked the government to "stop harassing" paddy growers of eastern UP.
RLD members also jumped in the Well on the sugarcane issue while BSP members stood on their place wearing caps with slogan "Chini mil maliko ki dalal sarkar, Akhilesh Yadav ki SaPa sarkar" (Akhilesh Yadav government is agent of sugar mill owners).
"Atmahatya karta Ganna kisan, SP sarkar bani anjaan" (While SP government is ignorant, cane farmers are forced to commit suicide), the slogan on cap of BSP members read.
Amidst din, Speaker Mata Prasad Pandey asked the legislators to return to their seats as Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, who was present in the House, wanted to give some statement on cane issue.
However, when the Opposition remained adamant the Speaker adjourned the House for 30 minutes initially. Later, when it met again and the Opposition stick to its stand, the entire question hour was adjourned by the Speaker.
While the BJP, RLD and BSP were taking up cane issue, Peace Party member Ayub Khan was seen with placard demanding resignation of SP government alleging death of 40 children due to cold in Muzffarnagar riot camps.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city