Quota bill: 18 lakh UP employees on strike today
Lucknow: Lodging protest against Union Cabinet’s move of clearing reservation in promotions for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in government jobs, over 18 lakh employees will hold a state-wide strike on Wednesday.
All the employees of the Uttar Pradesh government, except those in emergency services, will be staging the protest strike.
Shailendra Dubey, president of `Sarvjan Hitai Sanrakshan Samiti` said yesterday, that employees of all the departments under its banner, would stage protest meetings against the move at the district-level and also in the state capital.
However the emergency services would remain unaffected, Dubey added.
Slamming Union Cabinet’s move of clearing the proposal for reservation in promotion, Dubey said that it was an attempt to disturb the basic structure of the constitution and encroach upon the right to equality.
There have been four attempts in the past and this would be the fifth to amend the constitution, and the three crore employees of the country would not tolerate it, Dubey added.
A bill allowing reservation in promotions for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in government jobs is slated to be introduced in Rajya Sabha today after the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, yesterday approved the proposal for making provisions for quotas for SC/STs in promotions in government jobs, clearing the deck for introduction of a Constitution Amendment Bill in the ongoing session of Parliament.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared