Quota bill: 18 lakh UP employees on strike today
Lucknow: Lodging protest against Union Cabinet’s move of clearing reservation in promotions for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in government jobs, over 18 lakh employees will hold a state-wide strike on Wednesday.
All the employees of the Uttar Pradesh government, except those in emergency services, will be staging the protest strike.
Shailendra Dubey, president of `Sarvjan Hitai Sanrakshan Samiti` said yesterday, that employees of all the departments under its banner, would stage protest meetings against the move at the district-level and also in the state capital.
However the emergency services would remain unaffected, Dubey added.
Slamming Union Cabinet’s move of clearing the proposal for reservation in promotion, Dubey said that it was an attempt to disturb the basic structure of the constitution and encroach upon the right to equality.
There have been four attempts in the past and this would be the fifth to amend the constitution, and the three crore employees of the country would not tolerate it, Dubey added.
A bill allowing reservation in promotions for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in government jobs is slated to be introduced in Rajya Sabha today after the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, yesterday approved the proposal for making provisions for quotas for SC/STs in promotions in government jobs, clearing the deck for introduction of a Constitution Amendment Bill in the ongoing session of Parliament.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi