Quota bill: 18 lakh UP govt employees go on flash strike
Lucknow: About 18 lakh employees and officers of UP government on Thursday went on a flash strike boycotting work in protest against attempts at "forcible passage" of the SC/ST quota bill in Rajya Sabha, saying the stir will continue.
President of the Sarvjan Hitai Sanrakshan Samiti, Shailendra Dubey, spearheading the agitation, said here the about 18-lakh-strong workforce of the state government, barring essential services like hospitals, power and transport, started boycotting work this evening and it would continue indefinitely.
Dubey told reporters that a demonstration against the move would be held in front of the Assembly as also at the district headquarters tomorrow.
Earlier, a rally of government employees was taken out in the state capital to register opposition to the move and a `virodh sabha` (protest assembly) was later held at the General Post Office (GPO).
Dubey said that the employees affiliated to various worker unions, teachers and other departments were taking part in the protest.
Opposing reservation for SC/STs in promotion in government jobs, Dubey said it was an attempt to disturb the basic structure of the Constitution and encroach upon the right to equality.
"There have been four attempts in the past and this would be the fifth one to amend the Constitution, and the three crore employees of the country would not tolerate it," he said.
Samajwadi Party members today staged a walkout from Rajya Sabha following a directive from the Chair to two of its members to leave the House for causing disruption over the quota bill.
However, SP, which is in power in UP, made it clear that it will continue to support UPA government notwithstanding strong action taken against its members in Rajya Sabha when they were protesting against consideration of the bill.
"The bill is an unconstitutional one. But, the government is adamant to pass the bill. It is not in interest of the people. Different parties decided to pass the bill. We had been protesting from the beginning and our members were withdrawn one by one," party leader Ram Gopal Yadav told reporters outside Parliament House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in