Quota bill: 18 lakh UP govt employees go on flash strike
Lucknow: About 18 lakh employees and officers of UP government on Thursday went on a flash strike boycotting work in protest against attempts at "forcible passage" of the SC/ST quota bill in Rajya Sabha, saying the stir will continue.
President of the Sarvjan Hitai Sanrakshan Samiti, Shailendra Dubey, spearheading the agitation, said here the about 18-lakh-strong workforce of the state government, barring essential services like hospitals, power and transport, started boycotting work this evening and it would continue indefinitely.
Dubey told reporters that a demonstration against the move would be held in front of the Assembly as also at the district headquarters tomorrow.
Earlier, a rally of government employees was taken out in the state capital to register opposition to the move and a `virodh sabha` (protest assembly) was later held at the General Post Office (GPO).
Dubey said that the employees affiliated to various worker unions, teachers and other departments were taking part in the protest.
Opposing reservation for SC/STs in promotion in government jobs, Dubey said it was an attempt to disturb the basic structure of the Constitution and encroach upon the right to equality.
"There have been four attempts in the past and this would be the fifth one to amend the Constitution, and the three crore employees of the country would not tolerate it," he said.
Samajwadi Party members today staged a walkout from Rajya Sabha following a directive from the Chair to two of its members to leave the House for causing disruption over the quota bill.
However, SP, which is in power in UP, made it clear that it will continue to support UPA government notwithstanding strong action taken against its members in Rajya Sabha when they were protesting against consideration of the bill.
"The bill is an unconstitutional one. But, the government is adamant to pass the bill. It is not in interest of the people. Different parties decided to pass the bill. We had been protesting from the beginning and our members were withdrawn one by one," party leader Ram Gopal Yadav told reporters outside Parliament House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read