Rae Bareli, Amethi get 24X7 power again
Lucknow: Pushed on the backfoot after "strong political reactions" from New Delhi, the Uttar Pradesh government on Friday restored 24x7 power supply to Rae Bareli and Amethi - Parliamentary constituencies of Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi.
While the Uttar Pradesh Power Corporation Limited (UPPCL) had confirmed on Thursday that power cuts had been effected in the two VIP districts owing to acute power shortage, it now says that power rostering in the two districts was "part of routine adjustments".
"There were no specific instructions for these two districts. Power cuts have been happening even in VIP areas like Kannauj, a Parliamentary constituency represented by Dimple Yadav, wife of the chief minister," managing director of UPPCL AP Mishra pointed out.
Asked why such rostering was not done in other VIP constituencies, Mishra refused to respond, saying only that "24x7 power supply has been restored to Rae Bareli and Amethi".
With the onset of summer, Uttar Pradesh is reeling under a severe power crisis, with peak demand for electricity going up to 11,500 mega watt, while supply from different sources in around 8,000 mega watt. The state faces a shortfall of over 3,000 MW.
Power officials say they are trying their best to sort out the mess, but admit that in coming days, the power scenario is likely to be grim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him