Rahul asks Cong MPs from UP to gear up for LS polls
New Delhi: Asking party MPs from Uttar Pradesh to gear up for the next Lok Sabha polls, Rahul Gandhi today expressed confidence that Congress would be able to double the number of seats it had won in 2009 general elections in the state.
Congress under the leadership of Rahul Gandhi in UP had won 22 out of 80 Lok Sabha seats in last Lok Sabha elections. It was a major achievement for the party, which had won only 22 seats in 2007 Assembly elections. One Lok Sabha seat is considered equivalent to five Assembly seats.
In 2012 Assembly elections, the party, however, could win only 28 seats. Sources said that Gandhi asked party MPs from the state to "be confident and positive". He expressed confidence that "we will win more than double number of seats of what we had got in the last Lok Sabha elections", the sources said.
Gandhi is learnt to have said that while the party will be able to repeat its victory in the seats already held, new seats will be added to the party`s kitty. Gandhi also asked MPs to proactively apprise people of UPA government`s work.
External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid, who is an MP from Uttar Pradesh, downplayed suggestions that Gandhi`s exhortation to the party leaders to gear up for polls indicated mid-term polls were near.
"There is no question of mid-term polls... We will complete our full term, it is our desire. This is what should happen in democracy," he told reporters here when asked whether Gandhi has given any timeline for early elections or whether DMK withdrawing support from the government could lead to such an eventuality.
"One year is not a very long time and sometimes elections happen two months or four months before as well. So we have to keep the preparation. That is why he called everybody and encouraged them," Khurshid said.
He said that Gandhi wanted everybody to be free in the discussion and also told the MPs that if anybody feels there is any shortcoming in the orgnisation, he will try to address it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27