Rahul attacks BSP, SP for being `anti-minorities`
Saharanpur: In an indication of Congress
strategy to aggressively woo minority voters in poll-bound
Uttar Pradesh, Rahul Gandhi on Friday attacked BSP and SP for
their "changing" stance on the issue of Muslim reservation.
Addressing a public rally in this minority-dominated
district, Gandhi said that it was Congress which initiated the
move for reservation for Muslims as it felt that they were not
getting adequate opportunities.
"We implemented the Sachar Commission report which pointed
out that minorities are not being able to participate
adequately in the development process. Then we initiated the
move for reservation. Prime Minister also took initiative.
This will give you representation in education and jobs. We
did it because we feel that we want to connect you," said
Targeting Uttar Pradesh chief minister Mayawati and
Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav over the issue, he
said they were in power in the state for a long time but made
no such effort.
"Mayawati did nothing in five years. Mulayam Singh also
made no effort. Now Mayawati says that we have asked the
Centre to bring reservation.
"When the Prime Minister said there will be reservations
(for minorities) then Mulayam Singh Yadav commented it is
less. When you were Chief Minister why did you not do any such
thing," Gandhi said.
The AICC general secretary also dared the SP chief to
mention in his party`s manifesto that he favours 18 per cent
reservation for Muslims, as he is now saying.
"He will never do it. When asked by the scribes about
reservation for Muslims, Mulayam Singh Yadav had maintained
complete silence. He threw away Rashid Masood (former SP vice
president) when he demanded reservation for Muslims. He
(Mulayam) talks about you, but embraced Kalyan Singh to get
benefit in elections," Gandhi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand