Rahul attacks BSP, SP for being `anti-minorities`
Saharanpur: In an indication of Congress
strategy to aggressively woo minority voters in poll-bound
Uttar Pradesh, Rahul Gandhi on Friday attacked BSP and SP for
their "changing" stance on the issue of Muslim reservation.
Addressing a public rally in this minority-dominated
district, Gandhi said that it was Congress which initiated the
move for reservation for Muslims as it felt that they were not
getting adequate opportunities.
"We implemented the Sachar Commission report which pointed
out that minorities are not being able to participate
adequately in the development process. Then we initiated the
move for reservation. Prime Minister also took initiative.
This will give you representation in education and jobs. We
did it because we feel that we want to connect you," said
Targeting Uttar Pradesh chief minister Mayawati and
Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav over the issue, he
said they were in power in the state for a long time but made
no such effort.
"Mayawati did nothing in five years. Mulayam Singh also
made no effort. Now Mayawati says that we have asked the
Centre to bring reservation.
"When the Prime Minister said there will be reservations
(for minorities) then Mulayam Singh Yadav commented it is
less. When you were Chief Minister why did you not do any such
thing," Gandhi said.
The AICC general secretary also dared the SP chief to
mention in his party`s manifesto that he favours 18 per cent
reservation for Muslims, as he is now saying.
"He will never do it. When asked by the scribes about
reservation for Muslims, Mulayam Singh Yadav had maintained
complete silence. He threw away Rashid Masood (former SP vice
president) when he demanded reservation for Muslims. He
(Mulayam) talks about you, but embraced Kalyan Singh to get
benefit in elections," Gandhi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APICET 2016 Results: (apicet.net.in) AP ICET Result 2016, AP Integrated Common Entrance Test Results to be declared today on May 27 at 9 AM
- CHSE Odisha Plus Two (Class 12) Exam Results 2016 is likely to be declared today anytime soon - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in
- Trump would approve oil pipeline project blocked by Obama on green concerns
- Deep-water search for EgyptAir black boxes to start soon
- Britain plans to send warship to fight smuggling of people, arms off Libya: Cameron