Rahul attacks BSP, SP for being `anti-minorities`
Saharanpur: In an indication of Congress
strategy to aggressively woo minority voters in poll-bound
Uttar Pradesh, Rahul Gandhi on Friday attacked BSP and SP for
their "changing" stance on the issue of Muslim reservation.
Addressing a public rally in this minority-dominated
district, Gandhi said that it was Congress which initiated the
move for reservation for Muslims as it felt that they were not
getting adequate opportunities.
"We implemented the Sachar Commission report which pointed
out that minorities are not being able to participate
adequately in the development process. Then we initiated the
move for reservation. Prime Minister also took initiative.
This will give you representation in education and jobs. We
did it because we feel that we want to connect you," said
Targeting Uttar Pradesh chief minister Mayawati and
Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav over the issue, he
said they were in power in the state for a long time but made
no such effort.
"Mayawati did nothing in five years. Mulayam Singh also
made no effort. Now Mayawati says that we have asked the
Centre to bring reservation.
"When the Prime Minister said there will be reservations
(for minorities) then Mulayam Singh Yadav commented it is
less. When you were Chief Minister why did you not do any such
thing," Gandhi said.
The AICC general secretary also dared the SP chief to
mention in his party`s manifesto that he favours 18 per cent
reservation for Muslims, as he is now saying.
"He will never do it. When asked by the scribes about
reservation for Muslims, Mulayam Singh Yadav had maintained
complete silence. He threw away Rashid Masood (former SP vice
president) when he demanded reservation for Muslims. He
(Mulayam) talks about you, but embraced Kalyan Singh to get
benefit in elections," Gandhi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez