Rahul Gandhi bats for farmers, sees Amethi as future farm hub
Amethi: Noting that farmers are suffering due to problems in the food supply chain, Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi on Monday said there is need for ensuring better compensation for the farmers against their produce.
Rahul, who laid foundation stone of a mega food park in Jagdishpur here, said that right from production of crops to their landing on the dinner table, the farmers, despite putting their maximum effort, get minimum benefit.
"While a farmer sells potato between Rs 6 to Rs 10 per kilogram, those who make potato chips sell it at Rs 400 per kg," Rahul said.
He further said that while Uttar Pradesh produces some famous varieties of mango, which are even exported to countries like US and Britain, the farmers who grow it get paltry returns.
The local MP saw immense possibility in development of Amethi as an agricultural hub.
"The thought is that whether its mango, mentha or aonla, whatever is produced in UP, maximum processing is done in Amethi. It should become an agricultural hub," he said.
The food park is developed by the Aditya Birla Group and Rahul said the group will be investing Rs 200 crore in it.
He said that 50 units will be set up at the park, that will provide direct jobs to some 2,500 people, besides giving indirect opportunities to 25,000 others and benefiting as many as 40,000 farmers.
Rahul said a cargo terminal can be set up at Fursatganj air strip in Rae Bareli, from where the processed food items can be send to other parts of the country.
The Congress MP said he fought for re-operating the Hindustan Paper Mill at Amethi and once inaugurated soon, it will provide employment to some 10,000 people.
Citing Bengalore`s example, Rahul said the way it became a hub of science-based industry after setting up of HAL unit some 60-70 years ago, he hopes a similar future for Amethi with this food park coming up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video