Rahul Gandhi hold review meeting on Uttar Pradesh
New Delhi: With BJP focussing on Uttar Pradesh in a big way for the 2014 Lok Sabha poll battle, Rahul Gandhi on Monday asked partymen to strengthen the organisation at the grass-roots level.
The Congress vice president held a review meeting to take stock of the party`s poll preparations at a time, when Narendra Modi`s close associate Amit Shah has been given charge of the politically key state by the BJP.
Congress poll managers apprehend that there is a well- thought out attempt by the BJP to polarise elections in the state, where the Ram Temple issue had once catapulted the BJP to limelight.
Partymen are saying that it was time that Congress should get its act together following the dismal showing in the assembly polls last year.
The last Lok Sabha elections had given hopes for revival of the organisation as it secured as many as 22 of the 80 Lok Sabha seats. Congress is out of power since 1989.
In his meetings with the AICC general secretary in-charges of states, chief ministers or CLP leader and PCC chiefs of states, Rahul had earlier directed them to fill up a form listing the number of meetings, they hold at the block and district levels.
Rahul reviewed the work done on the basis of that format today. Besides, Uttar Pradesh, he also reviewed the party preparations in the Congress-ruled Haryana.
AICC general secretary in-charge of organisations Janardan Dwivedi and Congress President Sonia Gandhi`s political secretary Ahmed Patel participated in both meetings.
AICC general secretary in-charge for Uttar Pradesh Madhusudan Mistri, PCC chief Nirmal Khatri, CLP leader Pradip Mathur besides AICC secretaries in-charge of the state attended the meeting on Uttar Pradesh.
Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda and PCC chief Phulchand Mulana attended the meeting on their state along with AICC general secretary Shakeel Ahmed and the secretaries concerned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Italy quake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors
- Syria launched chemical attacks, IS used mustard gas: UN report
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact