Rahul Gandhi slams UP govt over Muzaffarnagar relief camps, irks Samajwadi Party
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
Lucknow: Hours after Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi paid a surprise visit to the relief camps in Muzaffarnagar and lamented on the state of riot victims living there, the Samajwadi Party (SP) has hit back, saying the Gandhi scion should have instead done something for them rather than giving suggestions to the Uttar Pradesh government.
SP MP Naresh Agarwal said, "I do not know why Rahul Gandhi visited Muzaffarnagar. I wish Rahul Gandhi saw the poverty and the poor condition of the peope and did something for them that would have been better, but if he went there to gather votes then it is wrong."
Rahul Gandhi had earlier slammed the ruling Samajwadi Party government in Uttar Pradesh over what he called was the deplorable conditions in relief camps for Muzaffarnagar riots victims.
Rahul made this remark after visiting the relief camps of the riot victims at Malakpur in Uttar Pradesh`s Shamli district.
"UP government should improve the condition in the relief camps, condition is extremely bad in these camps, children are dying and the state government has to help them," Rahul said.
The Congress leader further said, "We have no animosity with the Samajwadi Party government, but Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav should focus a bit more on the Muzaffarnagar relief camps."
However, while reacting to Rahul`s visit to relief camps and homes of the victims in Muzaffarnagar, Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav said, "We are ready to work on suggestions if they want to give one. If they want to play politics it is up to them."
Asked whether Rahul`s visit to meet riot-hit victims was an attempt to derive political mileage, Akhilesh said "I will not make political allegations. It is up to you to analyse. You might know better."
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- India deeply appreciates US' engagement in Asia-Pacific: Ashton Carter
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative