Rahul Gandhi slams UP govt over Muzaffarnagar relief camps, irks Samajwadi Party
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
Lucknow: Hours after Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi paid a surprise visit to the relief camps in Muzaffarnagar and lamented on the state of riot victims living there, the Samajwadi Party (SP) has hit back, saying the Gandhi scion should have instead done something for them rather than giving suggestions to the Uttar Pradesh government.
SP MP Naresh Agarwal said, "I do not know why Rahul Gandhi visited Muzaffarnagar. I wish Rahul Gandhi saw the poverty and the poor condition of the peope and did something for them that would have been better, but if he went there to gather votes then it is wrong."
Rahul Gandhi had earlier slammed the ruling Samajwadi Party government in Uttar Pradesh over what he called was the deplorable conditions in relief camps for Muzaffarnagar riots victims.
Rahul made this remark after visiting the relief camps of the riot victims at Malakpur in Uttar Pradesh`s Shamli district.
"UP government should improve the condition in the relief camps, condition is extremely bad in these camps, children are dying and the state government has to help them," Rahul said.
The Congress leader further said, "We have no animosity with the Samajwadi Party government, but Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav should focus a bit more on the Muzaffarnagar relief camps."
However, while reacting to Rahul`s visit to relief camps and homes of the victims in Muzaffarnagar, Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav said, "We are ready to work on suggestions if they want to give one. If they want to play politics it is up to them."
Asked whether Rahul`s visit to meet riot-hit victims was an attempt to derive political mileage, Akhilesh said "I will not make political allegations. It is up to you to analyse. You might know better."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'