Rahul Gandhi slams UP govt over Muzaffarnagar relief camps, irks Samajwadi Party
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
Lucknow: Hours after Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi paid a surprise visit to the relief camps in Muzaffarnagar and lamented on the state of riot victims living there, the Samajwadi Party (SP) has hit back, saying the Gandhi scion should have instead done something for them rather than giving suggestions to the Uttar Pradesh government.
SP MP Naresh Agarwal said, "I do not know why Rahul Gandhi visited Muzaffarnagar. I wish Rahul Gandhi saw the poverty and the poor condition of the peope and did something for them that would have been better, but if he went there to gather votes then it is wrong."
Rahul Gandhi had earlier slammed the ruling Samajwadi Party government in Uttar Pradesh over what he called was the deplorable conditions in relief camps for Muzaffarnagar riots victims.
Rahul made this remark after visiting the relief camps of the riot victims at Malakpur in Uttar Pradesh`s Shamli district.
"UP government should improve the condition in the relief camps, condition is extremely bad in these camps, children are dying and the state government has to help them," Rahul said.
The Congress leader further said, "We have no animosity with the Samajwadi Party government, but Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav should focus a bit more on the Muzaffarnagar relief camps."
However, while reacting to Rahul`s visit to relief camps and homes of the victims in Muzaffarnagar, Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav said, "We are ready to work on suggestions if they want to give one. If they want to play politics it is up to them."
Asked whether Rahul`s visit to meet riot-hit victims was an attempt to derive political mileage, Akhilesh said "I will not make political allegations. It is up to you to analyse. You might know better."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- It was Lalu who pulled and hugged me, will continue to fight corruption, clarifies Arvind Kejriwal