Rahul Gandhi to address rally in Aligarh on October 9
Aligarh: In a bid to reach out to the people with the UPA government`s flagship legislation on land acquisition, Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi will address a rally here on October 9.
Gandhi will address the rally primarily to apprise the farmers of western Uttar Pradesh with the recent Land Acquisition Bill, Congress spokesperson Vivek Bansal told reporters here on Wednesday.
"Rahul`s visit to Aligarh marks the fulfilment of his pledge made here to farmers two years back to bring in a new law for acquisition of farm lands," Bansal said.
Two years ago when farmers held an agitation over acquisition of farm land for the Yamuna Expressway project, Rahul had held a farmers` mahapanchayat in which he had promised to come back to Tappal, the epicentre of the agitation, only "after a new fair law is in place for acquiring farm lands", he said.
The rally in Aligarh will be Gandhi`s first major public meet in the state in the run up to the Parliamentary elections due next year.
The organisers of the rally were denied permission by the local authorities to hold the rally at Exhibition Grounds as the venue has already been given to some construction contractors. The rally is now scheduled to be held at the ITI College Grounds.
Several top national leaders including some central ministers are also expected to attend the rally, former Lok Sabha member from Aligarh Brijenra Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why