Rahul Gandhi`s solar energy initiative pays off
Munshiganj (Amethi): Congress leader
Rahul Gandhi`s efforts to electrify villages with solar energy
has changed the lives of people in six villages of Amethi and
Rae Bareli constituencies.
The impact of the pilot project initiated by the young
leader in 2005 was visible when the Gandhi scion was greeted
by brightly lit pathways on his visit last night to Kalyan
Surjai, one of the six hamlets where the project was
implemented in its initial phase.
"Four years down the line, the project has changed the
lives of people in these villages as their dependence on the
erratic power supply has been reduced to the minimum," she
said, Saroj Devi of Kalyani Mahila Sangthan self-help group,
which worked on the project, told agency.
The Congress leader, who made a detour to the village
in Jagatpur block also interacted with 10-12 families and
enquired about the progress of the project, party sources said
People apprised Rahul about the change which had come
into their lives as a result of his efforts and expressed
their gratitude to the local MP for initiating the project,
Saroj Devi said.
Around 25 self-help groups had joined hands to
implement the project with the assistance of an Andhra-based
company which provided the technical know-how and also the
technique to the SHGs to develop low-cost bulbs based on solar
energy, she said.
These low-cost lamps are within easy reach of common
people who have started using them in their daily lives, said
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing