Rahul visits dalit girl in Kanpur hospital, main accused held
Kanpur: Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Monday
visited the Hallet Hospital here to meet the 16-year-old dalit
girl maimed for resisting a rape attempt and promised all
assistance to her, even as the main accused in the case was
arrested in Fatehpur.
Assuring her family members that she would get justice,
Gandhi gave her parents his office phone number and asked them
to contact him whenever they faced any problem.
The Congress general secretary went to the Intensive Care
Unit, where the girl is undergoing treatment after her nose,
ear and a part of hand were slashed by three youths when she
thwarted their attempt to outrage her modesty in Bindaki area
in Fatehpur district.
Gandhi first enquired about her condition from her
attending doctors and then spoke to her parents outside the
Later, the girl`s father Badlu Ram told reporters that
Gandhi heard the details of the incident and asked him if she
was facing any problem in her treatment.
Gandhi asked accompanying UP Congress chief Rita Bahuguna
Joshi to keep a watch on her medicare.
The teenager suffered a dozen deep gashes on her face,
head and hand and was rushed to the Fatehpur district hospital
from where she was referred to Hallet Hospital here in a
Outside the hospital, Congress workers raised slogans
against the Mayawati government and clashed with police, who
used lathis to chase them away. Six persons, including three
journalists, were injured.
The youths - Shivom, Hari Shanker and Pawan - had forcibly
dragged her on Saturday when she had gone out for some work in
a field and tried to rape her.
Main accused Shivom (25) was arrested today in Fatehpur
and the axe used in the incident recovered, Superintendent of
Police Ram Bharose told reporters.
This is the second arrest in the case after Harishanker
was nabbed yesterday. The third accused is still absconding.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Mayawati is reaching here
tomorrow and is likely to meet the girl.
The Chief Minister was earlier scheduled to arrive here on
February 13 to review the progress of development works.
Kanpur District Magistrate Mukesh Meshram said Mayawati
has changed her programme and will come tomorrow. But, he said
he had no information as to whether she will meet the girl.
Meanwhile, a sobbing Badlu Ram told PTI that no girl
should be allowed to undergo the pain suffered by his daughter
and demanded stringent punishment to the guilty so that it
could act as a deterrent for other wrong-doers in future.
The girl`s mother could not control her tears when she
said, "My humble prayer is my only daughter should be saved."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks