Rahul’s first visit of UP after poll debacle
Lucknow: Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Monday arrived on a three-day visit of his Parliamentary constituency Amethi, the first after his party`s dismal show in the Uttar Pradesh assembly election.
The Congress general secretary will meet party workers and review the party`s performance during his visit.
"During the visit to the constituency, Rahul will be meeting party workers and review the party`s performance. Why the party lost and the reasons behind it will be reviewed," Congress state president Rita Bahuguna Joshi told reporters.
She said that victory and defeat are part of the election process but the focus of the party was to strengthen the organisation and as of now it was focusing on local bodies polls, likely to be held later this year.
Asked about the preparations for the 2014 general elections, Joshi said there was a lot of time for that but the present focus was on local bodies polls.
"With BSP not contesting local bodies polls and SP having little presence, Congress will try to perform well", she said.
Earlier, Rahul arrived at the Chowdhury Charan Singh Airport here and immediately left for his constituency by road amidst slogan shouting by enthusiastic party workers.
During his visit, Rahul will be meeting party workers of Tiloi constituency at Ramjanki Bajpai Balika Vidyalaya, Samrauta. Later, he will meet workers of Salon constituency at Nimisha convent school in Salon on Monday.
On Tuesday, Gandhi will meet Amethi constituency workers at Munshiganj guest house and workers of Gauriganj at Rajiv Gandhi Science College.
On the last day of his visit, Gandhi will review party`s performance with Jagdishpur constituency workers and later leave for New Delhi.
This is Rahul`s first visit to the constituency after his party`s dismal show in the assembly elections in which he had led the campaign from the front, criss-crossing the state and addressing hundreds of election meetings.
The party had also fared poorly in their bastions Amethi and Rae Bareli.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof