Railways gear up for Kumbh rush
New Delhi: Over 750 special trains, increasing the number of ticketing, booking and enquiry counters and additional security including CCTV monitoring are among measures undertaken by the Railways for Kumbh Mela beginning in Allahabad from tomorrow.
North Central Railway, which is headquartered in Allahabad has decided to run 750 special trains by NCR to run during mela period. The zone will form nearly 37 mela special rakes during the period.
While it is requisitioning 800 extra coaches for the purpose, Northern Railway headquartered at Delhi and North Eastern Railway headquartered at Gorakhpur are deploying 1100 additional coaches.
While special express trains would be run, the existing ones will be replenished with additional coaches.
Passenger amenities have been improved at Allahabhad junction with installation of escalators and extension of foot overbridges. Similar measures are there for near-by stations like Naini, Cheoki and Subedarganj like at Allahabad.
While special focus has been given to creating facilities in and around Allahabad,the trains will be given additional stoppages at Etawah, Allahabad, Naini, Cheokki and Vindhyachal stations, where fresh measures have been taken to beef up passenger amenities and securities.
Besides providing medical facilities, deployment of additional staff has also been made for effective mechanism for crowd management, the release said.
Several restrictions have also been imposed to avoid inconvenience to pilgrims. Goods traffic will be restricted during Mela period at Subedarganj, Naini and Mirzapur while parcel booking will be restricted during Mela period at Allahabad and Naini.
Moreover, four pairs of long distance trains will be diverted avoiding Allahabad from February to February 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- STOP THIS SHAME! 8-year-old girl sleeping outside house, abducted, gangraped by neighbours in Delhi
- DISGUSTING! Man booked after objectionable post against Sakshi Malik, her religion on FB
- Eagerly waiting for Kareena, Saif's baby: Karisma Kapoor
- India's progress incomplete without infra expansion: PM Modi
- NCR startups face funding crunch; attract just $170 million in 2016