Rains kill 13 in UP
Lucknow: Thirteen people were killed in rain related incidents in Uttar Pradesh as incessant downpour lashed the state on Friday.
Six people died in Ghazipur, three in Sultanpur and two each in Badaun and Pratapgarh districts in incidents of lightning and house collapse due to heavy rainfall, officials said.
Most parts of the state received heavy rainfall with Chandradeep Ghat (Gonda) recording 200 mm rainfall, Ayodhya 162.8 mm, Palia Kalan 160.8 mm, Basti 128.6 mm, Rae Bareli 127 mm and the state capital Lucknow 35 mm, central water commission said.
Met officials said the south-west monsoon has been vigorous over east UP and active over west UP, leading to moderate to heavy/very heavy rain and thundershowers at most places over the state.
Rivers continued to be in spate with Sharda at Palia Kalan and Ghaghra at Elgin Bridge and Ayodhya flowing above the danger mark.
In Barabanki, nine villages on the banks of Ghaghra faced a serious threat of floods, while a report from Farrukhabd said Ganga was maintaining a rising trend and some areas were facing a serious threat of erosion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: After Lajpat Nagar, another person shot in Chawri Bazar
- 13 new smart cities announced; Lucknow tops list
- NEET: Centre's Ordinance gets President's nod
- Delhi's fruits and vegetables lack essential nutrients: AIIMS study
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- World's cheapest smartphone Namotel Acache Din at Rs 99 closes booking today
- Lawsuit filed seeking transparency in US' H-1B visa lottery
- NEET not deferred but implemented from May 1, President's nod has given it statutory support: JP Nadda
- Monsanto jumps 7% on withdrawal of Bt cotton notification
- Rajnath Singh vows to bring Dawood Ibrahim back to India, adds no threat from Islamic State