Rains kill 13 in UP
Lucknow: Thirteen people were killed in rain related incidents in Uttar Pradesh as incessant downpour lashed the state on Friday.
Six people died in Ghazipur, three in Sultanpur and two each in Badaun and Pratapgarh districts in incidents of lightning and house collapse due to heavy rainfall, officials said.
Most parts of the state received heavy rainfall with Chandradeep Ghat (Gonda) recording 200 mm rainfall, Ayodhya 162.8 mm, Palia Kalan 160.8 mm, Basti 128.6 mm, Rae Bareli 127 mm and the state capital Lucknow 35 mm, central water commission said.
Met officials said the south-west monsoon has been vigorous over east UP and active over west UP, leading to moderate to heavy/very heavy rain and thundershowers at most places over the state.
Rivers continued to be in spate with Sharda at Palia Kalan and Ghaghra at Elgin Bridge and Ayodhya flowing above the danger mark.
In Barabanki, nine villages on the banks of Ghaghra faced a serious threat of floods, while a report from Farrukhabd said Ganga was maintaining a rising trend and some areas were facing a serious threat of erosion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian youth severely addicted to toxic drugs
- Leonardo DiCaprio to speak about anti-beef movement at RSS meet in UK
- Bihar rape: Accused five persons still absconding, Police clueless
- UK's exit from EU: India prepared for all eventualities, says Shaktikanta Das
- Britain exits European Union, first country to leave 28-nation bloc
- Find out what lies beneath your fingernails!
- It's not about size of role in Hollywood, but experience: Deepika Padukone
- Chhatisgarh to ban commercial vehicles over 10-12 years old
- Arvind Kejriwal wants Brexit-style referendum on full statehood for Delhi
- Sky is the limit for me with right director: Alia Bhatt