Rains kill 13 in UP
Lucknow: Thirteen people were killed in rain related incidents in Uttar Pradesh as incessant downpour lashed the state on Friday.
Six people died in Ghazipur, three in Sultanpur and two each in Badaun and Pratapgarh districts in incidents of lightning and house collapse due to heavy rainfall, officials said.
Most parts of the state received heavy rainfall with Chandradeep Ghat (Gonda) recording 200 mm rainfall, Ayodhya 162.8 mm, Palia Kalan 160.8 mm, Basti 128.6 mm, Rae Bareli 127 mm and the state capital Lucknow 35 mm, central water commission said.
Met officials said the south-west monsoon has been vigorous over east UP and active over west UP, leading to moderate to heavy/very heavy rain and thundershowers at most places over the state.
Rivers continued to be in spate with Sharda at Palia Kalan and Ghaghra at Elgin Bridge and Ayodhya flowing above the danger mark.
In Barabanki, nine villages on the banks of Ghaghra faced a serious threat of floods, while a report from Farrukhabd said Ganga was maintaining a rising trend and some areas were facing a serious threat of erosion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery