Raja Bhaiya orders coolers for prisoners
Lucknow: Prisoners in Uttar Pradesh may look forward to a less harsh summer with Jails Minister Raghuraj Pratap Singh aka Raja Bhaiya ordering installation of coolers, fans and water-coolers for them, an official said Tuesday.
The instructions were issued by the minister at review meeting of the prison department Monday, the official said.
The minister also ordered that the prisoners be allowed to meet their relatives at least once a week.
He said inmates` family members who come from far off places should not be turned away by officials without a meeting with the prisoners, the official said.
The minister, an independent legislator from Kunda constituency who himself has been lodged in jails on at least two occasions since 2002, also proposed to use a better cooking medium in food for the inmates.
Vanaspati oil would now be replaced with vegetable oil for cooking in jails, said the official.
The minister also asked officials to ensure adequate medical facilities inside jails.
Raja Bhaiya is accused in eight criminal cases that include attempt to murder, abduction, corruption and dacoity. The politician was incarcerated in 2002 under the Prevention of Terrorism Act. In the last government of Mulayam Singh, the terror charges against him were dropped.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress