Rajnath Singh asks Centre to help farmers, breaks his fast
Ghaziabad: BJP leader Rajnath Singh on Friday asked the Centre to help the farmers of western Uttar Pradesh agitating over the issue of land acquisition.
Ending his 24-hour-long fast after drinking a glass of juice offered by senior BJP leader Sushma Swaraj, the former BJP president said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh should come forward to save the lives of the farmers and a new act should
be formed regarding land acquisition soon.
The Ghaziabad MP who was detained yesterday during an agitation in support of Greater Noida farmers, said that Mayawati and UPA government were hand in glove on the issue of land acquisition.
"Mayawati government is anti-farmer government and a commission should be formed to inquire into atrocities committed by police on farmers in Greater Noida," Swaraj said.
JD(U) president Sharad Yadav, who also joined Rajnath Singh, today alleged that Mayawati government has a nexus with corporate builders in land scam. Under the land act, this should be scrapped.
Rajnath Singh along with BJP leader Arun Jaitley and MA Naqvi was yesterday arrested on charge of breach of peace when they were agitating in support of farmers of Greater Noida who want more compensation from the state government for their acquired land.
Rajnath Singh had started a 24-hour fast yesterday at the Ambedkar park here to protest against atrocities on farmers by the UP government. Jaitley and Naqvi, along with some state unit leaders of BJP, had gathered to support him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey