Rajnath Singh asks Centre to help farmers, breaks his fast
Ghaziabad: BJP leader Rajnath Singh on Friday asked the Centre to help the farmers of western Uttar Pradesh agitating over the issue of land acquisition.
Ending his 24-hour-long fast after drinking a glass of juice offered by senior BJP leader Sushma Swaraj, the former BJP president said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh should come forward to save the lives of the farmers and a new act should
be formed regarding land acquisition soon.
The Ghaziabad MP who was detained yesterday during an agitation in support of Greater Noida farmers, said that Mayawati and UPA government were hand in glove on the issue of land acquisition.
"Mayawati government is anti-farmer government and a commission should be formed to inquire into atrocities committed by police on farmers in Greater Noida," Swaraj said.
JD(U) president Sharad Yadav, who also joined Rajnath Singh, today alleged that Mayawati government has a nexus with corporate builders in land scam. Under the land act, this should be scrapped.
Rajnath Singh along with BJP leader Arun Jaitley and MA Naqvi was yesterday arrested on charge of breach of peace when they were agitating in support of farmers of Greater Noida who want more compensation from the state government for their acquired land.
Rajnath Singh had started a 24-hour fast yesterday at the Ambedkar park here to protest against atrocities on farmers by the UP government. Jaitley and Naqvi, along with some state unit leaders of BJP, had gathered to support him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble