Rally scuffle: Cong leaders moves HC against FIR
New Delhi: Congress on Thursday moved a petition in the Allahabad High Court seeking a stay on the arrest of its senior leaders, who have been booked by the UP police for allegedly assaulting Samajwadi Party workers during Rahul Gandhi`s rally in Phulpur recently.
As per reports, the petition was moved by Union Ministers Jitin Prasad, RPN Singh, MLC Naseeb Pathan and Congress Legislative Party leader in the UP Assembly Pramod Tiwari.
The FIR was lodged on a complaint by Abhishek Yadav, one of the four SP youth wing supporters who alleged that he had been thrashed by SPG personnel and the Congress leaders at the venue of Rahul Gandhi`s rally on Monday.
Yadav was arrested along with three other supporters of Samajwadi Yuvjan Sabha when they were running towards Rahul Gandhi`s helicopter, trying to show him a black flag.
They were pressing the demand for restoring students` union at the Allahabad University which was accorded central status in 2005.
The filing of criminal cases against its leaders was later dubbed by Congress as yet another instance of "Mayawati`s jungleraj"
Reacting to the development, senior Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan said that the Congress is disappointed and hence resorting to such ways.
“They are disappointed, they don’t have any work. They could not act against Anna Hazare and others like Kejriwal and Prashant Bhushan who had made a statement suggesting a formula to divide Kashmir and now they are doing this,” he said.
On the Congress’ allegation that the FIR against their ministers is due to a nexus between the BSP and the SP, Azam Khan said, “…Then Mayawati should give walkover to Samajwadi Party in the coming elections.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof