Ram Naik sworn-in as Uttar Pradesh Governor
Lucknow: Senior BJP leader and former Union Minister Ram Naik was on Tuesday sworn-in as the 27th Governor of Uttar Pradesh at a ceremony held in Raj Bhawan here.
80-year-old Naik was administered oath of office by Chief Justice of Allahabad High Court Justice Dhananjaya Y Chandrachud this evening.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, several ministers, MLAs, senior bureaucrats and senior officers from police department were present on the occasion.
Veteran BJP leader Ram Naik succeeds BL Joshi, who resigned last month.
Joshi, perceived to be a close confidant of Gandhi family, was the first Governor who tendered his resignation on June 17 after the Narendra Modi government came to power.
A three-time Parliamentarian, Naik has the rare distinction of being the only minister who completed five years as Petroleum and Natural gas minister in one government.
Hit by cancer, Naik was bedridden in 1994 but fought back resolutely and overcame the deadly disease. He had announced in 2013 that he would not be contesting the 2014 elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues
- Pampore terror attack: PM Narendra Modi pained by demise of CRPF jawans, salutes their courage
- PM Narendra Modi to share his thoughts in 21st edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' today
- IIFA Awards 2016: Here is the list of winners