Ram Naik sworn-in as Uttar Pradesh Governor
Lucknow: Senior BJP leader and former Union Minister Ram Naik was on Tuesday sworn-in as the 27th Governor of Uttar Pradesh at a ceremony held in Raj Bhawan here.
80-year-old Naik was administered oath of office by Chief Justice of Allahabad High Court Justice Dhananjaya Y Chandrachud this evening.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, several ministers, MLAs, senior bureaucrats and senior officers from police department were present on the occasion.
Veteran BJP leader Ram Naik succeeds BL Joshi, who resigned last month.
Joshi, perceived to be a close confidant of Gandhi family, was the first Governor who tendered his resignation on June 17 after the Narendra Modi government came to power.
A three-time Parliamentarian, Naik has the rare distinction of being the only minister who completed five years as Petroleum and Natural gas minister in one government.
Hit by cancer, Naik was bedridden in 1994 but fought back resolutely and overcame the deadly disease. He had announced in 2013 that he would not be contesting the 2014 elections.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive