Ram temple located in ward represented by a Muslim
Ayodhya: After all the bitterness over the disputed site in Ayodhya, the area in which the makeshift Ram temple is located in this town is represented by a Muslim in the municipality for the past 15 years.
Haji Asad, the corporator of Ramkot ward in this temple town in Uttar Pradesh, says both Hindus and Muslims have been voting for him for the past 15 years and there is no
division between them.
"The dispute of the Ramjanma Bhoomi-Babri Masjid would have been solved much earlier had the political parties not played divisive politics," he told a news agency here.
"I represent the Ramkot ward, where the make-shift Ram Temple exists and I get the support of all irrespective of their communities," he said.
Interestingly, besides make Ram temple, famous Hanuman Gari is also located in his ward, which has a mixed population of Hindus and Muslims.
"People from all communities vote for me and that is the reason I am representing the ward for such a long time", Asad said.
Be it marriage or another ceremony, people of all castes and religion gather and there is no feeling of hatred among them, the corporator said.
About the High Court decision, Asad said that they welcomed it but feels that the issue would linger on due to vote bank politics.
"The government should intervene to end the dispute, which is flared by politicians. At the ground we all live with harmony," Haji Asad said,
There are many examples of Hindu-Muslim unity in this temple town where there are many mosques, which are being protected and taken care of by Hindus, whenever needed, a local said.
One Mohammad Shariq, who has cremated 1,500 unclaimed bodies - both of Hindus and Muslims -- is continuing on his mission without caste or religion bais.
Also, Ashraf Ali, who owns a flower shop near Ashari Bhawan, supplies flowers and garlands to temples and this is his main source of income.
Locals say the ground situation in Ayodhya is not visible to people outside due to statements issued by political parties on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs