Ram temple on BJP`s agenda in UP polls
New Delhi: In a clear indication that the Ram
temple issue will be on its agenda in the forthcoming Uttar
Pradesh Assembly elections, BJP on Sunday said its two yatras in
the state will culminate at Ayodhya where party leaders will
take a pledge to work for victory.
BJP Vice-President Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said the "Jan
Swabhimaan Yatra" against corruption and crime in UP will
start simultaneously on October 13 from Varanasi and Mathura.
Former BJP President Rajnath Singh will lead the yatra
from Mathura, while senior leader Kalraj Mishra will head the
yatra starting from Varanasi to be flagged off by NDA Working
President LK Advani.
"Both the yatras will culminate in Ayodhya on November 16.
On November 17, a Vijay Sankalp Samagam (victory pledge) will
be organised," Naqvi said.
BJP sources said the recent Allahabad High Court verdict
trifurcating the disputed land at Ayodhya has come as a shot
in the arm for the party and it wishes to capitalise on the
While Advani had said soon after the verdict that it
vindicates his stand that the disputed place was Lord Rama`s
birthplace, the party feels this is one issue which should be
kept alive for the 2012 Assembly polls.
The two yatras will cover around 5,000 km and cover 62
districts and 370 Assembly constituencies.
"Our motive behind the yatra is to spread the message of
`corruption-free, crime-free and vibrant Uttar Pradesh` to
each and every home," Naqvi said.
The yatra will try to reach out to around seven crore
of the 10 crore voters.
The first phase of Jan-Swabhimaan Yatra will be from
October 13 to October 22 and cover Mathura to Kheri and
Varanasi to Jalaun.
The second phase will be from Bahraich to Ayodhya and
Hamirpur to Ayodhya between November 9 and November 17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read