Ram temple on BJP`s agenda in UP polls
New Delhi: In a clear indication that the Ram
temple issue will be on its agenda in the forthcoming Uttar
Pradesh Assembly elections, BJP on Sunday said its two yatras in
the state will culminate at Ayodhya where party leaders will
take a pledge to work for victory.
BJP Vice-President Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said the "Jan
Swabhimaan Yatra" against corruption and crime in UP will
start simultaneously on October 13 from Varanasi and Mathura.
Former BJP President Rajnath Singh will lead the yatra
from Mathura, while senior leader Kalraj Mishra will head the
yatra starting from Varanasi to be flagged off by NDA Working
President LK Advani.
"Both the yatras will culminate in Ayodhya on November 16.
On November 17, a Vijay Sankalp Samagam (victory pledge) will
be organised," Naqvi said.
BJP sources said the recent Allahabad High Court verdict
trifurcating the disputed land at Ayodhya has come as a shot
in the arm for the party and it wishes to capitalise on the
While Advani had said soon after the verdict that it
vindicates his stand that the disputed place was Lord Rama`s
birthplace, the party feels this is one issue which should be
kept alive for the 2012 Assembly polls.
The two yatras will cover around 5,000 km and cover 62
districts and 370 Assembly constituencies.
"Our motive behind the yatra is to spread the message of
`corruption-free, crime-free and vibrant Uttar Pradesh` to
each and every home," Naqvi said.
The yatra will try to reach out to around seven crore
of the 10 crore voters.
The first phase of Jan-Swabhimaan Yatra will be from
October 13 to October 22 and cover Mathura to Kheri and
Varanasi to Jalaun.
The second phase will be from Bahraich to Ayodhya and
Hamirpur to Ayodhya between November 9 and November 17.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan