Ramesh for CBI probe into MGNREGA irregularities in UP
Lucknow: Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh Tuesday said he will request Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav to recommend a CBI probe into irregularities in seven districts of the state under MGNREGA scheme.
"Earlier I had made a (same) request to the then chief minister Ms Mayawati for CBI probe into MGNREGA in Sonebhadra, Balrampur, Gonda, Sant Kabirnagar and three other districts, and not to give protection to those who were involved into it, but she did not pay heed to it," Ramesh said here.
government only, Ramesh said he will now request to Akhilesh to give nod for CBI inquiry into the matter.
Ramesh also insisted on social audits by the respective states to ensure transparency in use of MGNREGA funds.
He said for effective implementation of the job scheme, the Centre has introduced CAG audit of funds meant it, and ots report will be available by January 31 next year.
Ramesh said for the first time, the gram panchayats will be made to get MNREGA funds audited by a chartered accountant.
The states have been asked to pick up 12 gram panchayats from every district which have reported maximum spending of MGNREGA funds, and get it audited by a chartered accountant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note