Ramesh writes to Akhilesh on `loopholes` in MNREGA
Lucknow: Pointing out shortcomings in the implementation of MGNREGA scheme in Uttar Pradesh, Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh has asked state Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav to give personal attention towards the issues.
In a letter written to Akhilesh yesterday, the Union minister said that the scheme, which guarantees hundred days of employment to rural people, had hired only 24 per cent of those eligible in the state. This is less than the mandatory hiring of 33 per cent and much lower than the target achieved by other states, he said.
On an average, only 22 days of employment were provided to those employed as against the national average of 28 days, Ramesh noted.
Also, the electronic fund management system was functioning only in 11 of the 75 districts in the state, the Union minister said, adding that the scheme has been launched in all districts of some states like Odisha, Madhya Pradesh, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Maharashtra and Rajasthan.
Ramesh said of the works started so far, only 14 per cent was being done on the farms of small and marginal farmers, which is a very low percentage.
The Union minister said that the Centre had released Rs 431.5 crore to the state, taking the total amount devolved to UP under the scheme to more than Rs 2,696 crore. He has requested Akhilesh to give personal attention to sort out these issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi