Rape incidents figure in UP assembly; Oppn stages walkout
Lucknow: Crime against women, including
recent incidents of rape, in Uttar Pradesh today figured in
the state assembly with the Opposition coming down heavily on
the Mayawati government and staging a walkout over the issue.
Congress, BJP and other opposition members walked out
of the House separately saying they were dissatisfied with
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Lalji Verma`s reply on the
The government reeled out figures to show the crime
situation vis-a-vis women in Uttar Pradesh was much better
compared to other states.
Raising the issue, Congress members cited various
cases of crime against women recently and sought a reply from
the the government.
Pramod Tewari (Cong) referred to the Banda rape case
and said the victim was not feeling safe and had even asked
for a gun license for her brother.
BSP MLA Purshottam Naresh Dwiwedi and three others
are accused in the Banda rape case.
Om Prakash Singh (BJP) said figuring of names of the
MLAs in criminal activities was a blot on the House.
"There are 13 MLAs who are in jail," he said adding
in six cases legislators were incarcerated on charges of rape.
In his reply, the Parliamentary Affairs Minister,
who reeled out statistics provided by the National Crime
Bureau, said there were only three other states in the country
where crime was less than Uttar Pradesh.
"Yet the Congress Yuvraj does not see incidents in
other states," he said in a veiled reference to Rahul Gandhi.
The Congrees leader met the teenaged girl, who was
allegedly raped by the BSP legislator, in Banda yesterday and
assured her all possible help.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam