Red alert across entire UP: Police
Kanpur: In the wake of the Pune blast, a red
alert has been declared across entire Uttar Pradesh, state
police said on Sunday.
ADG Brijlal told reporters here today that a red alert
was declared in the state after the blast in Pune and
personnel have been asked to remain to be especially vigilant
in cities like Kanpur, Lucknow, Agra, Varanasi, Ghaziabad and
When asked about the Union Home Ministry warning that
terrorists may target Kanpur, the police official parried the
question saying there was no specific information about the
industrial city being on their target.
He also appealed to the public to not touch any
unidentified object but call the police.
Brijlal, who met all senor officials of Kanpur range,
said police have been directed to put up barriers at entry and
exit points to the city and conduct checks.
He said police had recently busted a "Maoist" group in
the city and the campaign against Naxalism will continue in
The official said that a list of all police officers who
have served for long in a particular place was being made.
Meanwhile, new Kanpur DIG Prem Prakash, who took charge
today, said it will now be mandatory for people in the city to
get their tenants verified.
A drive will be launched and action will be taken against
those who keep tenants without verification, Prakash said.
"Recently, a large group of Maoists was caught in the city
and they were residing on rent in the city," he said.
He also warned policemen in the city against riding
two-wheelers without helmets or triple-riding.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal