Relation with Rahul won’t help Uma or BJP: Cong
New Delhi: Congress on Thursday sought to puncture Uma Bharti`s description of herself as Rahul Gandhi`s "aunt", saying the `relation` would cut no ice with people in poll-bound Uttar Pradesh where she is "irrelevant like her party (BJP)".
"Uma may present herself as bua (aunt) of Rahul, but the
relation will not help her and BJP in Uttar Pradesh. She has
not been accepted by the people of her home state of Madhya
Pradesh, why should UP accept her?", party spokesman Rashid
Alvi told reporters.
Alvi said the Congress has "full sympathy" for Bharti as
her candidature in the UP Assembly polls showed that the BJP
has no nominees to field in the elections and no leadership to
lead it in the state. Both of them are "irrelevant" in the
state, he said.
Dismissing Bharti`s attempts to rake up the issue of
Sonia Gandhi`s foreign origin, Alvi said the Congress
President was not only chief of the ruling party but was the
leader of the country.
"Bharti has been ousted from her home state and wants
to become a leader in UP", he said, adding that it was a
"sorry picture" that the BJP has no leadership in Uttar
Congress attack against Bharti, who has been fielded by
BJP from Charkari in Bundelkhand, came close on the heels of
the fiery BJP leader hitting back at Rahul for his remarks
that she was contesting from UP though she was from MP.
"Sonia Gandhi came from Italy and has been accepted in
India. If Italy`s Sonia was accepted in India, I am only from
Madhya Pradesh. Rahul should remember the background of his
mother. Only then he should comment on his bua (aunt)," she
said taking a swipe at Rahul.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre