Release of water by Nepal behind flood-like situation: UP
Siddhartnagar: Uttar Pradesh on Tuesday said that release of water by Nepal into rivers originating from there was the major cause of flood-like situation in the state and the matter would be taken up with the neighbouring country soon.
"The flood-like situation in the area on Friday last was because of Nepal releasing water into the rivers without informing and in order to find a permanent solution to it, the issue would be taken up with the neighbouring country...If required the Centre would be requested to play the role of intermediary", state minister for Irrigation, Shivpal Singh Yadav, who took an aerial view of the affected areas told reporters.
Release of water in Burrhi Rapti, Baan Ganga Kurra, Ghonghi rivers had adversely affected Naugarh, Shohratgarh, Itwa and Bansi areas of the state, he said.
Yadav said joint projects in hydel power and using the water for irrigation works would be taken up with Nepal so as to ensure proper utilisation of surplus water.
He said the earlier Samajwadi Party government headed by Mulayam Singh Yadav had planned to start projects to improve power generation but the BSP government did no work in this regard, which has resulted in the present poor power scenario.
"But work on generating more power would start soon", he said.
The minister said that directives have been given to the local administration to start relief work and check land erosion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?