Release of water by Nepal behind flood-like situation: UP
Siddhartnagar: Uttar Pradesh on Tuesday said that release of water by Nepal into rivers originating from there was the major cause of flood-like situation in the state and the matter would be taken up with the neighbouring country soon.
"The flood-like situation in the area on Friday last was because of Nepal releasing water into the rivers without informing and in order to find a permanent solution to it, the issue would be taken up with the neighbouring country...If required the Centre would be requested to play the role of intermediary", state minister for Irrigation, Shivpal Singh Yadav, who took an aerial view of the affected areas told reporters.
Release of water in Burrhi Rapti, Baan Ganga Kurra, Ghonghi rivers had adversely affected Naugarh, Shohratgarh, Itwa and Bansi areas of the state, he said.
Yadav said joint projects in hydel power and using the water for irrigation works would be taken up with Nepal so as to ensure proper utilisation of surplus water.
He said the earlier Samajwadi Party government headed by Mulayam Singh Yadav had planned to start projects to improve power generation but the BSP government did no work in this regard, which has resulted in the present poor power scenario.
"But work on generating more power would start soon", he said.
The minister said that directives have been given to the local administration to start relief work and check land erosion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city