Release of water by Nepal behind flood-like situation: UP
Siddhartnagar: Uttar Pradesh on Tuesday said that release of water by Nepal into rivers originating from there was the major cause of flood-like situation in the state and the matter would be taken up with the neighbouring country soon.
"The flood-like situation in the area on Friday last was because of Nepal releasing water into the rivers without informing and in order to find a permanent solution to it, the issue would be taken up with the neighbouring country...If required the Centre would be requested to play the role of intermediary", state minister for Irrigation, Shivpal Singh Yadav, who took an aerial view of the affected areas told reporters.
Release of water in Burrhi Rapti, Baan Ganga Kurra, Ghonghi rivers had adversely affected Naugarh, Shohratgarh, Itwa and Bansi areas of the state, he said.
Yadav said joint projects in hydel power and using the water for irrigation works would be taken up with Nepal so as to ensure proper utilisation of surplus water.
He said the earlier Samajwadi Party government headed by Mulayam Singh Yadav had planned to start projects to improve power generation but the BSP government did no work in this regard, which has resulted in the present poor power scenario.
"But work on generating more power would start soon", he said.
The minister said that directives have been given to the local administration to start relief work and check land erosion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured