Relief operations continue in UP, CM sanctions Rs 50 lakh
Luckow: Flood relief operations in Uttar Pradesh continued in full swing with the state government releasing Rs 50 lakh for the 13 affected districts even as the river Sharda and Ganga continued to flow near the danger mark.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Prasad Yadav, who took stock of the situation of the 13 affected districts -- Saharanpur, Jhansi, Bijnore, Muzaffarnagar, Amroha, Bahraich, Lakhimpur, Meerut, Barabnki, Pilibhit, Sitapur, Balrampur and Gonda -- sanctioned Rs 50 lakh for flood relief operation, official sources said.
The Chief Minister also directed the officials to make all preparations in advance to deal with any eventuality and warned against any laxity.
With almost no rainfall since yesterday, water level in the rivers was static but Sharda at Palia Kalan, Ghaghra at Elgin Bridge and Ayodhya were still flowing above the danger mark though they have registered a declining trend except in Ayodhya, Central Water Commission said.
The river Sharda which is flowing very near the red mark at Turtipar and Rapti at Balrampur was rising and the river Ganga which was rising all along its route from Fatehgarh to Allahabad is almost touching the danger mark at Fatehgarh, sources said.
Meanwhile, the main link between UP and Haryana remained cut off for the fourth day today due to closure of the bridge over the river Yamuna at Kairana in Shamli district.
The bridge was closed for traffic as the river Yamuna had crossed the danger mark four days ago. The traffic on the Khatima- Panipat highway has not yet been restored.
Official sources said that PAC and civil police has evacuated affected people in Saharanpur, Muzaffarnagar, Shamli, Bijnore and Kheri districts.
Three special trains have been started by the Northern Railway from Haridwar to Delhi, Chandigharh and Lucknow for flood-affected people, M M Tyagi, spokesman of the NR said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre