Religious bias behind detention at US airport: Azam Khan
Rampur: Uttar Pradesh minister Azam Khan, who suffered a brief detention at Boston airport last week, on Monday said that security officials acted against him because he was a Muslim.
Khan, who returned home yesterday from the US, told reporters that the American establishment can paint any person or nation as criminal and alleged it had been for long targeting Muslim nations and individuals.
"I being a Muslim was harassed and insulted by that country," he said.
Khan was briefly detained at the Boston airport while he was with UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on a trip to the US during which the duo were to address a gathering in Harvard University on the recently-concluded Maha Kumbh.
That speech at Harvard was ultimately boycotted and the UP CM and Khan have returned to India in protest against the "insulting" treatment meted out to the minister.
Khan even cited the US invasion of Iraq as evidence of the country`s attitude of religious bias.
Later, talking about the attack on Indian national Sarabjit Singh in a Pakistan prison, Khan said that "Pakistan has insulted Islamic traditions, culture and Holy Koran`s directives".
"In the Koran, very specific (rules) are mentioned on behaving with prisoners...I would advise the Islamic country to go through the teachings of Koran," Khan said.
A question on SP`s support to the Congress-led UPA government saw Khan making a mention of a third front.
"In case a third front government emerges, we shall be playing a different role which would not suit Congress," Khan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!