Religious bias behind detention at US airport: Azam Khan
Rampur: Uttar Pradesh minister Azam Khan, who suffered a brief detention at Boston airport last week, on Monday said that security officials acted against him because he was a Muslim.
Khan, who returned home yesterday from the US, told reporters that the American establishment can paint any person or nation as criminal and alleged it had been for long targeting Muslim nations and individuals.
"I being a Muslim was harassed and insulted by that country," he said.
Khan was briefly detained at the Boston airport while he was with UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on a trip to the US during which the duo were to address a gathering in Harvard University on the recently-concluded Maha Kumbh.
That speech at Harvard was ultimately boycotted and the UP CM and Khan have returned to India in protest against the "insulting" treatment meted out to the minister.
Khan even cited the US invasion of Iraq as evidence of the country`s attitude of religious bias.
Later, talking about the attack on Indian national Sarabjit Singh in a Pakistan prison, Khan said that "Pakistan has insulted Islamic traditions, culture and Holy Koran`s directives".
"In the Koran, very specific (rules) are mentioned on behaving with prisoners...I would advise the Islamic country to go through the teachings of Koran," Khan said.
A question on SP`s support to the Congress-led UPA government saw Khan making a mention of a third front.
"In case a third front government emerges, we shall be playing a different role which would not suit Congress," Khan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read