Retail FDI row: SP calls for UP bandh
New Delhi: Samajawadi Party on Wednesday called for a shutdown across the state of Uttar Pradesh to protest Centre’s decision to allow foreign equity in the retail sector.
According to reports, tomorrow’s shutdown is likely to have a big impact on normal life since the Centre’s move is being opposed by all major political parties excluding Congress.
Samajwadi Party chief Mulyama Singh had earlier announced that his party will intensify agitation against FDI in retail sector.
The SP chief had also praised West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for opposing FDI in retail and said that his party workers will also burn any such shop in UP, echoing the threat held out by BJP leader Uma Bharti a few days ago.
"We congratulate Mamata Banerjee for opposing the FDI decision. We are totally opposed to it because the government decision will adversely affect thousands of retail traders," Yadav said speaking to reporters outside Parliament House recently.
When pointed out that his arch rival UP Chief Minister Mayawati has also opposed the FDI decision, Yadav said, "This is a good thing that she is also opposing. But our stand is that we will burn any such shop in the state and we will not allow it."
Asked about the party`s future course of action on the issue, Yadav said, "We have requested Sonia ji to withdraw it. We will continue our protest unless it is withdrawn."
SP spokesperson Mohan Singh has also cleared his party’s stand on the issue by saying, “Millions of small retailers in will be finished off with the entry of foreign players and MNCs will get a stranglehold on the economy.”
Meanwhile, trade unions and political parties have also called for a nation-wide shutdown tomorrow in protest against centre’s FDI in retail move.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars