Rethink your duties in pluralistic society: Ansari to Muslims
Aligarh: Vice-President Hamid Ansari on Monday asked the Muslim community to introspect into its duties and rights in a pluralistic society, without being dependent on "concessions and largesse" for achieving goals.
Ansari said, "we have to accept that there are certain contradictions within Muslim society which cannot be resolved by being "evasive".
He was addressing a gathering at Aligarh Muslim University`s Kennedy Auditorium.
Diverging from his written speech at the inaugural function of the Prof KA Nizami Centre for Quranic Studies, the Vice-President urged the Muslim community to "introspect into its duties and rights in a pluralistic society."
He urged the Muslim community in general and AMU fraternity in particular, to understand "what is our due right in this society. At the same time we should not depend upon concessions and largesse for achieving our goals."
Referring to the Centre for Quranic Studies, Ansari said, "this Centre can provide a platform for serving as a vital institutional link with similar centres all over the world."
Ansari expressed the hope that this Centre would serve a very meaningful goal as a catalytic agent for spreading the message of essential teachings of Islam which were focused on "peace and harmony between different peoples of the world."
Earlier, welcoming the Vice-President, the Vice Chancellor of Aligarh Muslim University, Retired Lt General Zameer Uddin Shah said the Centre would play a key role in helping people of the world to understand that the essential ethos of the Quran was "justice and compassion for all human beings."
Shah said the above Centre would provide an opportunity to the AMU to "forge an understanding worldwide with similar institutions in spreading the message of Universal brotherhood and peace."
Shah recalled that the founding father of the AMU, Sir Syed Ahmad Khan was "a strong opponent of the religious bigotry."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference