Retired Justice Vishnu Sahai to probe Muzaffarnagar violence
Zee Media Bureau
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh government on Monday announced an inquiry commission headed by Justice (retd) Vishnu Sahai to probe Muzaffarnagar violence as the toll in communal clashes, one of the worst in the country in recent times, went up to 30.
The one-member judicial commission, which would mainly look into administrative lapses, if any, in controlling the violence, would submit its report to the government within two months.
With violence refusing to abate in rural areas of the town, with a significant Muslim population, authorities gave shoot-at-sight orders against rioters in Muzaffarnagar district, known for its sugar mills amidst sprawling sugarcane fields. It is located barely 120 km from the national capital.
"UP govt constitutes inquiry commission headed by Justice (retd) Vishnu Sahai to probe Muzaffarnagar violence," UP Home Secretary Kamal Saxena said.
He also claimed that the situation in affected areas here has been improved.
He further said, "FIR has been registered and efforts are on to arrest the people involved in instigating violence in the area."
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh called up Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav to offer help while BSP leader Mayawati demanded president`s rule in the country`s most populous state of 210 million people.
On the situation in Muzaffarnagar, Inspector General of Police (Crime) Ashish Gupta said as many as 40 people, including several leaders and MLAs have been named in an FIR for their alleged involvement in the September 7 mahapanchyat of a particular community, he said.
Prominent among those named in the FIR are BJP legislative party leader Hukum Singh, MLAs Bhartendu, Sangeet Som and Suresh Rana, BKU leader Naresh Tikait and Rakesh Taikait, former Congress MP Harendra Malik and former parlamentarian Sohanveer Singh and former minister Omvesh.
Asked whether Governor BL Joshi had sought a report on the Muzaffarnagar violence from the state government, Saxena said it was a routine affair.
"It is a routine to send a report on development to Raj Bhavan and the Ministry of Home Affairs as we seek central forces," he said.
Tension has been running high since three persons were killed in Kawal village on August 27 over an eve teasing incident.
At least 11 persons, including a TV channel journalist and a photographer, were killed on Saturday in violence that started during the mahapanchayat held in defiance of prohibitory orders to demand withdrawal of cases registered in connection with violence in Kawal.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Baloch leaders booked: JKNPP calls on Centre to slap sedition charges against separatists
- Earth's temperature dropped during solar eclipse
- 5.5 magnitude earthquake hits Myanmar-India border; tremors felt in Assam
- Was Aamir Khan all set to do a 'Rustom'? Here's what we know so far
- Grand Welcome for champions: After Telangana, Andhra Pradesh government felicitates PV Sindhu, Pullela Gopichand