Retired Justice Vishnu Sahai to probe Muzaffarnagar violence
Zee Media Bureau
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh government on Monday announced an inquiry commission headed by Justice (retd) Vishnu Sahai to probe Muzaffarnagar violence as the toll in communal clashes, one of the worst in the country in recent times, went up to 30.
The one-member judicial commission, which would mainly look into administrative lapses, if any, in controlling the violence, would submit its report to the government within two months.
With violence refusing to abate in rural areas of the town, with a significant Muslim population, authorities gave shoot-at-sight orders against rioters in Muzaffarnagar district, known for its sugar mills amidst sprawling sugarcane fields. It is located barely 120 km from the national capital.
"UP govt constitutes inquiry commission headed by Justice (retd) Vishnu Sahai to probe Muzaffarnagar violence," UP Home Secretary Kamal Saxena said.
He also claimed that the situation in affected areas here has been improved.
He further said, "FIR has been registered and efforts are on to arrest the people involved in instigating violence in the area."
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh called up Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav to offer help while BSP leader Mayawati demanded president`s rule in the country`s most populous state of 210 million people.
On the situation in Muzaffarnagar, Inspector General of Police (Crime) Ashish Gupta said as many as 40 people, including several leaders and MLAs have been named in an FIR for their alleged involvement in the September 7 mahapanchyat of a particular community, he said.
Prominent among those named in the FIR are BJP legislative party leader Hukum Singh, MLAs Bhartendu, Sangeet Som and Suresh Rana, BKU leader Naresh Tikait and Rakesh Taikait, former Congress MP Harendra Malik and former parlamentarian Sohanveer Singh and former minister Omvesh.
Asked whether Governor BL Joshi had sought a report on the Muzaffarnagar violence from the state government, Saxena said it was a routine affair.
"It is a routine to send a report on development to Raj Bhavan and the Ministry of Home Affairs as we seek central forces," he said.
Tension has been running high since three persons were killed in Kawal village on August 27 over an eve teasing incident.
At least 11 persons, including a TV channel journalist and a photographer, were killed on Saturday in violence that started during the mahapanchayat held in defiance of prohibitory orders to demand withdrawal of cases registered in connection with violence in Kawal.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015