Review decision on scrapping of schemes: BSP to Akhilesh govt
Lucknow: Slamming the Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party government for scrapping schemes launched by the previous Mayawati regime, the opposition Bahujan Samaj Party on Saturday asked it to review its decision.
"Besides cancelling various schemes, the SP government has renamed Dr Ambedkar Samagra Gram Vikas Yojna after socialist thinker Ram Manohar Lohia.
"This is not only unfortunate but also amounts to showing disrespect to Dr Ambedkar," BJP leaders Swami Prasad Maurya and Naseemuddin Siddiqui told a press conference here.
Condemning the state government for scrapping schemes started by the then Mayawati dispensation, they asked the Akhilesh government to review its decision.
Maurya and Siddiqui, leaders of the opposition in the Vidhan Sabha and the Vidhan Parishad respectively, said their party would raise the issue in the upcoming state assembly session.
They said the schemes meant for uplift of villages had been discontinued.
In case, the government did not review its decision and continued to ignore the poor, people would teach it a lesson at an appropriate time, the BSP leaders said.
On changing the name of the scheme after Lohia, they said "if they want they can start as many schemes in Lohia`s name."
But, changing the name and discontinuing other schemes was totally wrong, they said.
Siddiqui, who was PWD minister in the BSP government, alleged that brass gates, sandstone grills and other things, part of various ambitious projects of Mayawati, had been found missing.
His efforts to draw the attention of senior officials in this regard had proved futile, he said.
The cabinet had yesterday decided to discontinue a number of schemes and programmes of the previous Mayawati government.
Majority of the schemes and programmes were named after dalit icons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack