Rivers in spate in UP, flood situation grim
Lucknow: Flood situation remained grim in several places in Uttar Pradesh where major rivers were in spate as army helicopters evacuated stranded villagers in Lakhimpur Kheri district on Wednesday.
Two people lost their lives in rain-related incidents in Bahraich and Barabanki districts since last evening, officials said.
There were also reports of several houses collapsing in different places due to torrential rains, they said.
Army choppers were pressed into service to rescue some 150 villagers stranded in Mirjapur village in Lakhimpur Kheri, Chief Development Officer, Kheri, Surendra Vikram Singh, said.
"Two choppers reached the village this afternoon and the army personnel have started evacuating stranded villagers," he said.
The flood situation in Lakhimpur Kheri had worsened due to heavy discharge of water from Banbasa barrage into Sharda and Ghaghra rivers.
Pallia-Nighasan road had been submerged cutting off Pallia from the district headquarters.
The weather office said moderate to heavy rains occurred at few places in Western UP since Tuesday evening.
Fatehpur received 29 cms of rains and Dalmau, Dhaurarha, Pratapgarh, Fursatganj, Maharajganj and Mahoba six each.
All major rivers were in spate in the state and were flowing close to the red mark, the Central Water Commission said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’