Rivers in spate in UP, flood situation grim
Lucknow: Flood situation remained grim in several places in Uttar Pradesh where major rivers were in spate as army helicopters evacuated stranded villagers in Lakhimpur Kheri district on Wednesday.
Two people lost their lives in rain-related incidents in Bahraich and Barabanki districts since last evening, officials said.
There were also reports of several houses collapsing in different places due to torrential rains, they said.
Army choppers were pressed into service to rescue some 150 villagers stranded in Mirjapur village in Lakhimpur Kheri, Chief Development Officer, Kheri, Surendra Vikram Singh, said.
"Two choppers reached the village this afternoon and the army personnel have started evacuating stranded villagers," he said.
The flood situation in Lakhimpur Kheri had worsened due to heavy discharge of water from Banbasa barrage into Sharda and Ghaghra rivers.
Pallia-Nighasan road had been submerged cutting off Pallia from the district headquarters.
The weather office said moderate to heavy rains occurred at few places in Western UP since Tuesday evening.
Fatehpur received 29 cms of rains and Dalmau, Dhaurarha, Pratapgarh, Fursatganj, Maharajganj and Mahoba six each.
All major rivers were in spate in the state and were flowing close to the red mark, the Central Water Commission said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know