Rivers in spate in UP, flood situation worsens in Allahabad
Lucknow: With the major rivers in Uttar Pradesh flowing above the red mark, several districts in the state, including Allahabad and Gorakhpur were affected by the rising water level, resulting into floods in a number of inhabited areas in these districts.
According to relief commissioner`s office here, with both Ganga and Yamuna in spate and river water spreading to inhabited areas in Allahabad, people have started moving to safer areas.
Over 6,000 people have taken refuge in the relief camps, it said, adding that some 166 villages of Sadar and Beriya tehsils have been affected and a population of over 2 lakh is affected.
Similarly, in Gorakhpur, 35 villages of Khajni tehsil were affected of which 26 were marooned.
Relief camps have been set up in Hamirpur, Varanasi and other districts as well, the office said.
Erosion in Ghaghra has adversely hit Khalilabad, Mehdawal and Dhanghata tehsils in Santkabirnagar.
Central Water Commission sources said that Ganga continued to flow above the red mark at Phaphamau, Chatnag, Mirzapur, Varanasi, Gazipur and Ballia and was also rising.
Ganga was flowing 2.115 mts above the danger mark at Ballia, they said.
Yamuna was also flowing above the red mark at Auraiya, Kalpi, Hamirpu, Chillaghat and Naini, the sources said.
River Betwa at Sahijana and Sharda at Palia Kalan were also flowing above the danger mark.
Met office said that light to moderate rains and thundershowers occurred at isolated places in the last 24 hours.
Chief amount of rainfall recorded in cms are:- Kakrahi-6, Bansi-4, Basti, Nagina and Moradabad-3 each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray