RLD chief calls for early tabling of land acquisition Bill
New Delhi: Calling for tabling of the long
delayed land acquisition Bill in Parliament, RLD chief Ajit
Singh on Tuesday said it was a serious issue and the government
should not hold it back just because its ally Trinamool
Congress is opposed to it.
"I recently met Rural Development Minister C P Joshi to
discuss the land acquisition Bill. He told me that though the
government is ready to bring it to Parliament, Trinamool
Congress leader Mamata Banerjee (an ally of UPA) opposes it.
Congress should try to make Mamata see reason. Government is
not going to fall on a Mamata threat," Singh said.
He said UP Chief Minister Mayawati had recently acquired
855 revenue villages (equivalent to 2,000 villages) in four
districts of Agra, Aligarh, Hathras and Mathura for
constructing the Yamuna Expressway.
"She has acquired villages on both sides of the proposed
Yamuna Expressway. In fact she has taken over an entire tehsil
as we are still governed by the Land Acquisition Act of 1894.
There are many shortcomings in this Act and therefore I am
calling for early tabling of the Land Acquisition (Amendment)
Bill 2007," Singh told reporters here.
He said the land acquired by Mayawati was used for potato
cultivation and the country`s 20 per cent potatoes come from
that region. Land is the only livelihood of a farmer and
therefore farm land should be made equivalent to forest land,
that cannot be acquired, he said.
"I think farmers will again have to come to Delhi," Singh
said, hinting at a possible farmer agitation on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city