RLD not in favour of quota in government job promotions
Lucknow: Union Minister Ajit Singh on Friday said his party Rashtriya Lok Dal was not in favour of the constitutional amendment bill for reservation in promotion.
"Our party is not in its favour," Singh, the Union minister for Civil Aviation, told reporters here when asked about RLD`s stand on the issue and whether the party was in favour or against the bill.
"Today most of the people admit that there is big problem in governance, it is being felt by them. If you say that merit is not needed in the governance then it will aggravate the problem. If you take out merit, then it is not in the interest of the country, society and common people," he said.
The minister said that a number of sections of the employees feel that their interest were not being protected.
"We are of the opinion that a way should be taken out by talking to all sections of the society so that deprived section get a chance to progress, but interests of other sections should also be protected," he added.
He said that there were a number of sections which were not getting benefit of reservation.
"Second thing is that at some point you have to decide that if reservation has benefitted then how long you will continue with it and if it has not benefitted then why," he said.
"Even among dalits there are sections who have not received benefit of reservation," he said.
"Before amending the constitution, any change should be made only after deliberating that differences are not created in the society," Singh said.
The minister said that due to some amendments, the problem has been solved upto an extent.
"There is some problem left on the issue of seniority and I am of the opinion that some solution can be worked out," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Mahatma Gandhi: Know six things you didn't know about him
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview