RLD supports UP panchayat’s Taliban-style diktat
Lucknow: In what can be termed as shocking, after Bhartiya Kisan Union, the Rashtriya Lok Dal and All India Jat Arakshan Samiti has also come out in support of the Talibani-style diktat of an Uttar Pradesh panchayat at the Asra village in Baghpat.
The support becomes more appalling if it comes from a Member of Parliament and the lawmakers of this country. RLD MP and party chief Ajit Singh`s son Jayant Chaudhary met the panchayat members on Saturday. While talking to journalists he said that everybody had the right to manage the affairs of one`s family the way they wanted to do. “They (the panchayat members) are doing just that. It is no diktat. It is a mere suggestion from their side.” However, on the issue of the rights of women and their freedom he kept quite.
Asra village is part of the parliamentary constituency of the RLD chief Ajit Singh. This clearly outlines the vote-bank agenda behind the political support for the brazen diktat.
Earlier, the village panchayat in Bagpat district had banned love marriage, barred women below 40 years of age from going out for shopping and girls from using mobile phones on the streets.
The panchayat at Asara village in Ramala area also ruled that when women leave their homes, their heads must be covered.
The diktats were issued during a meeting of the panchayat. The panchayat also banned love marriages and said those doing so would not be allowed to live in the village.
Meanwhile, the AIJAS has also reportedly come out in support of the ban. The AIJAS is an umbrella body of various Jat associations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly