RLD supports UP panchayat’s Taliban-style diktat
Lucknow: In what can be termed as shocking, after Bhartiya Kisan Union, the Rashtriya Lok Dal and All India Jat Arakshan Samiti has also come out in support of the Talibani-style diktat of an Uttar Pradesh panchayat at the Asra village in Baghpat.
The support becomes more appalling if it comes from a Member of Parliament and the lawmakers of this country. RLD MP and party chief Ajit Singh`s son Jayant Chaudhary met the panchayat members on Saturday. While talking to journalists he said that everybody had the right to manage the affairs of one`s family the way they wanted to do. “They (the panchayat members) are doing just that. It is no diktat. It is a mere suggestion from their side.” However, on the issue of the rights of women and their freedom he kept quite.
Asra village is part of the parliamentary constituency of the RLD chief Ajit Singh. This clearly outlines the vote-bank agenda behind the political support for the brazen diktat.
Earlier, the village panchayat in Bagpat district had banned love marriage, barred women below 40 years of age from going out for shopping and girls from using mobile phones on the streets.
The panchayat at Asara village in Ramala area also ruled that when women leave their homes, their heads must be covered.
The diktats were issued during a meeting of the panchayat. The panchayat also banned love marriages and said those doing so would not be allowed to live in the village.
Meanwhile, the AIJAS has also reportedly come out in support of the ban. The AIJAS is an umbrella body of various Jat associations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE