Rlys seeks UP administration`s help to regulate Kumbh crowd
New Delhi: Gearing up for the holy bath at the Kumbh fair on Friday, Railways has sought curbs on large-scale movement of crowd towards Allahabad railway station.
In a letter to Uttar Pradesh Chief Secretary Jawed Usmani, North Central Zone Railway has sought regulation of crowd at the Allahabad junction and four other adjoining railway stations by the state administration on the Basant Panchami day.
"We have asked for the administration`s active role in regulating the movement of pilgrims towards Allahabad and adjoining stations on Friday, the next auspicious day for holy bath at Kumbh fair," said a senior North Central Railway official.
Besides, Railways has also sought adequate deployment of security men outside station for the crowd management.
He said the purpose of writing the letter is to ensure clean passage for passengers as well as ambulances to reach and leave station.
The sudden rush of passengers at Allahabad station on the Mauni Amavasya day on February 10 caused a stampede claiming 36 lives and left more than 30 injured.
It was difficult even for ambulances to reach station on February 10 as it was so overcrowded, the official said.
Railways will run more than 60 special trains for Allahabad on Basant Panchami.
Keeping the Kumbh rush in mind, Railways had pressed 1,880 extra coaches into service. Besides extra coaches, 650 RPF personnel are also being deployed by Railways at Allahabad and adjoining stations to tackle pilgrim rush.
There are two more holy bath slated to be held at Kumbh fair in the coming days.
Railways and the state government have ordered two separate inquiries to ascertain the cause of the stampede on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre