Rlys seeks UP administration`s help to regulate Kumbh crowd
New Delhi: Gearing up for the holy bath at the Kumbh fair on Friday, Railways has sought curbs on large-scale movement of crowd towards Allahabad railway station.
In a letter to Uttar Pradesh Chief Secretary Jawed Usmani, North Central Zone Railway has sought regulation of crowd at the Allahabad junction and four other adjoining railway stations by the state administration on the Basant Panchami day.
"We have asked for the administration`s active role in regulating the movement of pilgrims towards Allahabad and adjoining stations on Friday, the next auspicious day for holy bath at Kumbh fair," said a senior North Central Railway official.
Besides, Railways has also sought adequate deployment of security men outside station for the crowd management.
He said the purpose of writing the letter is to ensure clean passage for passengers as well as ambulances to reach and leave station.
The sudden rush of passengers at Allahabad station on the Mauni Amavasya day on February 10 caused a stampede claiming 36 lives and left more than 30 injured.
It was difficult even for ambulances to reach station on February 10 as it was so overcrowded, the official said.
Railways will run more than 60 special trains for Allahabad on Basant Panchami.
Keeping the Kumbh rush in mind, Railways had pressed 1,880 extra coaches into service. Besides extra coaches, 650 RPF personnel are also being deployed by Railways at Allahabad and adjoining stations to tackle pilgrim rush.
There are two more holy bath slated to be held at Kumbh fair in the coming days.
Railways and the state government have ordered two separate inquiries to ascertain the cause of the stampede on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation?
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi