Robber killed in police encounter in Kanpur
Kanpur: The kingpin of the gang involved in the Generalganj robbery case in which a security guard of a sari firm was killed and Rs 18 lakh looted, was on Friday killed in a police encounter in the city.
Sharad Chandel was shot dead in the encounter at Tantya Tope Nagar area in the city early this morning, DIG Kanpur Amitabh Yash said.
Police intercepted Chandel and his acquaintance this morning and signalled them to stop for a search, however, the duo started firing.
During the retaliatory fire by police, Chandel was killed, but his acquaintance escaped, the DIG said.
Police also recovered Rs four lakh cash, one country-made pistol along with live cartridges from him.
During investigation, it was found that Chandel was the the mastermind of the loot on July 16 when six robbers had decamped with the cash after killing the security guard of a sari shop while he was on his way to a bank to deposit the money.
They had also taken away the double-barrel gun of the guard and attacked another employee when he tried to resist.
Three of the robbers had already been arrested.
- Nepal President to announce Oli government's policies on May 7
- Uttarakhand fire: TMC gives adjournment notice in LS
- S Korea warns of citizens' potential abduction by North
- Karan Johar’s Dharma production hints at first ever love franchise
- India's manufacturing sector growth falls to 4-month low in April