Robber killed in police encounter in Kanpur
Kanpur: The kingpin of the gang involved in the Generalganj robbery case in which a security guard of a sari firm was killed and Rs 18 lakh looted, was on Friday killed in a police encounter in the city.
Sharad Chandel was shot dead in the encounter at Tantya Tope Nagar area in the city early this morning, DIG Kanpur Amitabh Yash said.
Police intercepted Chandel and his acquaintance this morning and signalled them to stop for a search, however, the duo started firing.
During the retaliatory fire by police, Chandel was killed, but his acquaintance escaped, the DIG said.
Police also recovered Rs four lakh cash, one country-made pistol along with live cartridges from him.
During investigation, it was found that Chandel was the the mastermind of the loot on July 16 when six robbers had decamped with the cash after killing the security guard of a sari shop while he was on his way to a bank to deposit the money.
They had also taken away the double-barrel gun of the guard and attacked another employee when he tried to resist.
Three of the robbers had already been arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city