Robber killed in police encounter in Kanpur
Kanpur: The kingpin of the gang involved in the Generalganj robbery case in which a security guard of a sari firm was killed and Rs 18 lakh looted, was on Friday killed in a police encounter in the city.
Sharad Chandel was shot dead in the encounter at Tantya Tope Nagar area in the city early this morning, DIG Kanpur Amitabh Yash said.
Police intercepted Chandel and his acquaintance this morning and signalled them to stop for a search, however, the duo started firing.
During the retaliatory fire by police, Chandel was killed, but his acquaintance escaped, the DIG said.
Police also recovered Rs four lakh cash, one country-made pistol along with live cartridges from him.
During investigation, it was found that Chandel was the the mastermind of the loot on July 16 when six robbers had decamped with the cash after killing the security guard of a sari shop while he was on his way to a bank to deposit the money.
They had also taken away the double-barrel gun of the guard and attacked another employee when he tried to resist.
Three of the robbers had already been arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!