Robbers take away ATM in Allahabad
Allahabad: Bank robberies, strongroom break-ins, and incidents of cash being stolen from ATMs are not new. A group of robbers here did one better than all that and uprooted and carried away an ATM machine itself!
The bewildering incident came to light on Saturday morning when some people went to withdraw money and found the newly-installed ATM machine of the United Bank of India in Allapur area of the city missing.
"It appears the ATM housed in a shopping complex was uprooted by three-four people late on Friday. We are yet to ascertain the amount of cash stored in the machine," police inspector Vijay Upadhyay told reporters here, some 200 km from Lucknow.
It would be a challenging task for the police to identify the robbers as the ATM cabin had no CCTV cameras.
"The ATM was set up around seven days ago. We have been told that the exercise for deputing a guard and installation of the cameras was yet to take place," another police officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation