Rousing reception to Rahul Gandhi in Amethi
Amethi: Arriving to a rousing reception here for the first time after being made vice president of the Congress, Rahul Gandhi Thursday assured people of his constituency that he would do whatever is possible for its development.
Landing at the Fursatganj airport for a two day visit, Gandhi was greeted by the people of the constituency amidst playing of `Dhol` and `Nagara`.
Getting on to the dais erected at regular intervals for his welcome, Gandhi said his relation with the constituency and its people was that of a family and not a political one.
"Whenever I get a chance to come, I come here. It is relationship of love. This (you people) is my family and I am not going to leave it," he said.
On the development of Uttar Pradesh, Gandhi said its pace did not match the works done by the Centre.
"Whatever we can do from the Centre we are doing... But things can change here (in UP) when there is a government for development. We have to change that and go for development here," he said.
The Congress MP regretted that the youth were still going out of the state for employment.
Gandhi, who had to visit the constituency on February 5, but cancelled the plan due to bad weather, apologised for any inconvenience to the people.
When his attention was drawn to jobs at the local petroleum institute, he said things needed to speed up for which he would talk to the concerned minister and ensure that people could get employment.
Enthusiasm of the locals about his visit could be gauged from the graffiti painted on walls.
Slogans like `yuvaon ne thana hai, Rahul ko PM banana hai` (Youth have resolved to make Rahul the Prime Minister), `Yuvaon me hai nayi umang, aao chalo Rahul ke sang` (Youth have new enthusiasm, let us support Rahul) have come up.
On the second day of his visit, he would hold a meeting with party workers and office bearers in Bhetya area before leaving for Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown