Rousing reception to Rahul Gandhi in Amethi
Amethi: Arriving to a rousing reception here for the first time after being made vice president of the Congress, Rahul Gandhi Thursday assured people of his constituency that he would do whatever is possible for its development.
Landing at the Fursatganj airport for a two day visit, Gandhi was greeted by the people of the constituency amidst playing of `Dhol` and `Nagara`.
Getting on to the dais erected at regular intervals for his welcome, Gandhi said his relation with the constituency and its people was that of a family and not a political one.
"Whenever I get a chance to come, I come here. It is relationship of love. This (you people) is my family and I am not going to leave it," he said.
On the development of Uttar Pradesh, Gandhi said its pace did not match the works done by the Centre.
"Whatever we can do from the Centre we are doing... But things can change here (in UP) when there is a government for development. We have to change that and go for development here," he said.
The Congress MP regretted that the youth were still going out of the state for employment.
Gandhi, who had to visit the constituency on February 5, but cancelled the plan due to bad weather, apologised for any inconvenience to the people.
When his attention was drawn to jobs at the local petroleum institute, he said things needed to speed up for which he would talk to the concerned minister and ensure that people could get employment.
Enthusiasm of the locals about his visit could be gauged from the graffiti painted on walls.
Slogans like `yuvaon ne thana hai, Rahul ko PM banana hai` (Youth have resolved to make Rahul the Prime Minister), `Yuvaon me hai nayi umang, aao chalo Rahul ke sang` (Youth have new enthusiasm, let us support Rahul) have come up.
On the second day of his visit, he would hold a meeting with party workers and office bearers in Bhetya area before leaving for Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow