Rousing reception to Rahul Gandhi in Amethi
Amethi: Arriving to a rousing reception here for the first time after being made vice president of the Congress, Rahul Gandhi Thursday assured people of his constituency that he would do whatever is possible for its development.
Landing at the Fursatganj airport for a two day visit, Gandhi was greeted by the people of the constituency amidst playing of `Dhol` and `Nagara`.
Getting on to the dais erected at regular intervals for his welcome, Gandhi said his relation with the constituency and its people was that of a family and not a political one.
"Whenever I get a chance to come, I come here. It is relationship of love. This (you people) is my family and I am not going to leave it," he said.
On the development of Uttar Pradesh, Gandhi said its pace did not match the works done by the Centre.
"Whatever we can do from the Centre we are doing... But things can change here (in UP) when there is a government for development. We have to change that and go for development here," he said.
The Congress MP regretted that the youth were still going out of the state for employment.
Gandhi, who had to visit the constituency on February 5, but cancelled the plan due to bad weather, apologised for any inconvenience to the people.
When his attention was drawn to jobs at the local petroleum institute, he said things needed to speed up for which he would talk to the concerned minister and ensure that people could get employment.
Enthusiasm of the locals about his visit could be gauged from the graffiti painted on walls.
Slogans like `yuvaon ne thana hai, Rahul ko PM banana hai` (Youth have resolved to make Rahul the Prime Minister), `Yuvaon me hai nayi umang, aao chalo Rahul ke sang` (Youth have new enthusiasm, let us support Rahul) have come up.
On the second day of his visit, he would hold a meeting with party workers and office bearers in Bhetya area before leaving for Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion