Rs 50 lakh recovered from killer of legislator`s wife
Lucknow/New Delhi: A 30-year-old man was arrested in Delhi Wednesday for murdering the wife of an Uttar Pradesh legislator last week in Muzaffarnagar town and decamping with valuables. Delhi Police have recovered Rs.50 lakh from him.
The wife of senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislator from the Nai Mandi area of Muzaffarnagar district, Hukum Singh, was strangled to death in her house in Uttar Pradesh`s Muzaffarnagar town Saturday.
"The accused Joshodh Chaudhary murdered Revati, 75, and decamped with cash and jewellery worth more than Rs.50 lakh," Virender Chehel, additional commissioner of Delhi Police, told reporters in Delhi.
After a tip off, the police apprehended Chaudhary Wednesday from Badarpur area of south Delhi.
"A cash amount of Rs.50.80 lakh, six gold rings, a suitcase full of sarees and two gunny bags have been recovered from his possession," Chehel added.
The recovery of cash from the accused has exposed the initial claims of Uttar Pradesh police that robbery was not the motive behind the crime.
In Lucknow, Additional Director General of Police Brij Lal said: "It was all because of big money."
Lal confirmed the recovery of cash from the accused in Delhi.
"Joshodh has confessed parking another Rs.12 lakh with his friend Pradeep, who is being traced," Lal said, adding that the robbery-cum-murder may have involved Rs.65 lakh.
Hukum Singh`s domestic help Shankar Kamat and his friend Lallan have already been arrested in connection with the murder. They were arrested Tuesday.
Police are hunting for Ravi Kamat, a former domestic help of Singh, suspected to be the mastermind behind the murder.
He was sacked by the BJP leader some time back following a theft in his house.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in