RSS questions Azam Khan`s appointment as Kumbh Mela in-charge
New Delhi: Azam Khan may have resigned as in-charge of Maha Kumbh management owning moral responsibility for the stampede at Allahabad station that claimed 37 lives, but the RSS on Saturday questioned the appointment of the Muslim minister as in-charge of the mela in the first place.
In the editorial of its latest edition, RSS mouthpiece Organiser said, "In UP, the person in-charge of the Maha Kumbh, that fetches crores to the exchequer, is a Muslim minister.”
"It is not anybody`s case that the tragedy would not have occurred if it is was a Hindu minister. But the government to begin with could have had a better representative for the task."
The editorial subtitled "What was Azam Khan doing at the Kumbh" further says the minister in-charge should have been a person who would have been "empathetic, involved and committed to the pilgrimage". RSS maintained that the minister, Azam Khan, is "none of these".
Azam Khan, a senior minister in the Akhilesh Yadav-led UP government, was in-charge of the Maha Kumbh. He had stepped down from the responsibility after the stampede last Sunday but his resignation was not accepted by Yadav and he was reinstated. RSS has criticised this decision.
"The UP government, sickeningly heartless it is, announced that Azam Khan would continue with the assignment as he was not responsible for what happened at the Railway station," the editorial said, ruing that after the stampede Khan was "hardly visible" to give answers for the tragedy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?