Rustication of student leaders sparks protests in Allahabad University

Chief proctor, registrar and several others staff of Allahabad University were locked for hours by agitated students, who laid siege to campus protesting against expulsion of student union leaders.

Allahabad: Chief proctor, registrar and several others staff of the Allahabad University were locked in their offices for hours by agitated students, who laid siege to the campus protesting against the expulsion of some student union leaders.
In an eight-hour-long drama, which ended around last midnight, chief proctor Mata Amber Tiwari was locked inside his room by students, who were demanding the withdrawal of the rustication of Students Union president Dinesh Singh Yadav and two of his associates Ajeet Yadav and Avinash Dubey.

Tiwari could be freed only after police dispersed the agitating students by using force and broke open the lock on the door of the chief proctor`s office.

The agitators had earlier forced the closure of the various counters, much to the inconvenience of students as examinations are round the corner.

Earlier, on Friday, Ajeet Yadav and Avinash Dubey had tried to immolate themselves in front of the V-C office, but were prevented from doing so by police and University officials.

The student union leaders were expelled on February 6 following a February 2 incident, wherein they had barged into the office of the Vice-Chancellor and allegedly assaulted staff members upon being prevented from entering the V-C`s chamber without prior appointment.

The union leaders had claimed that they wished to draw the V-C`s attention towards "irregularities" in granting admissions to research scholars.

Their expulsion and lodging of FIR against them was followed by University administration ordering closure of the varsity for a week, fearing violence on the campus.

Police was also not able to provide "additional forces" as a large number of personnel were manning the Maha Kumbh congregation.

However, agitations resumed when the University reopened in the third week of February and intensified over the past few days as the varsity authorities refused to reconsider their decision.

Meanwhile, police today said "no complaint has so far been lodged by the University authorities and, hence, no arrests have been made in connection with yesterday`s incident".

However, University sources claimed "further action will be mooted once the Vice-Chancellor returns on March 6".

Besides, another expelled student Imran Ansari, who was rusticated in January for allegedly manhandling the Vice-Chancellor, went on a fast unto death three days ago in protest against the "high-handedness of the varsity administration" and was last night picked up by the police and admitted to the Swarup Rani Nehru hospital.