Sachin PIL: HC directs Centre to present its views
Lucknow: The Allahabad High Court on Monday directed the Central government to present its views on a PIL challenging nomination of cricketer Sachin Tendulkar to the Rajya Sabha.
The Lucknow Bench of the Court passed the order on a PIL filed by local lawyer Ashok Pandey on May 2.
The petition had sought a direction for quashing the recent nomination of Tendulkar to the Rajya Sabha.
The petitioner alleged the nomination of Tendulkar was against the legal provision and was in clear violation of the Constitution.
On behalf of the Centre, Additional Solicitor General Ashok Nigam opposed the PIL.
The Division Bench, comprising Justice Uma Nath Singh and Justice Virendra Kumar Dixit, directed the ASG to take a direction from the Centre and present its side on May 19.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'