Sachin PIL: HC directs Centre to present its views
Lucknow: The Allahabad High Court on Monday directed the Central government to present its views on a PIL challenging nomination of cricketer Sachin Tendulkar to the Rajya Sabha.
The Lucknow Bench of the Court passed the order on a PIL filed by local lawyer Ashok Pandey on May 2.
The petition had sought a direction for quashing the recent nomination of Tendulkar to the Rajya Sabha.
The petitioner alleged the nomination of Tendulkar was against the legal provision and was in clear violation of the Constitution.
On behalf of the Centre, Additional Solicitor General Ashok Nigam opposed the PIL.
The Division Bench, comprising Justice Uma Nath Singh and Justice Virendra Kumar Dixit, directed the ASG to take a direction from the Centre and present its side on May 19.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today