Saharanpur riots: Delhi BJP demands judicial probe
New Delhi: The BJP`s Delhi unit Wednesday submitted a memorandum to Minister of State in the PMO Jitender Singh, demanding a judicial probe into the Saharanpur riots.
The delegation, led by party president Satish Upadhyay informed the minister that three people died in Saturday`s communal riots and 25 were seriously injured while over 200 commercial establishments of the Sikh community were damaged.
"It has been stated in the memorandum that the Sikh community is enraged following the Saharanpur riots not only because of the conduct of the rioters but also of the Uttar Pradesh government that is condemnable."
"Hence, it is necessary that the central government should ask the state government to order a judicial inquiry by a high court judge. The central government should also compensate the people affected by the riots," the statement said.
Violence erupted between Muslims and Sikhs in Saharanpur July 26 over a land dispute.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living