Samajwadi Party leader shot dead in Gorakhpur
Lucknow: A Samajwadi Party (SP) leader was shot dead in his home in Uttar Pradesh`s Gorakhpur town by unidentified assailants, triggering demonstrations by party workers, police said Wednesday.
Om Kumar Yadav, 55, a member of the Samajwadi Party district unit, was killed late Tuesday inside his house in Jatepur locality. Yadav`s family rushed him to a hospital where he later died.
Police are yet to trace the assailants.
"Till now, we have not able to establish the motive behind the crime. Investigations are being carried out to identify the assailants," police inspector A.K. Shahi told reporters in Gorakhpur, some 300 km from Lucknow.
"The SP leader died of bullet injuries in his head," he added.
The murder sparked protests by a large number of Samajwadi Party activists, who Wednesday carried out demonstrations in parts of Gorakhpur demanding the arrest of those behind the killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers