Samajwadi Party leader shot dead in Gorakhpur
Lucknow: A Samajwadi Party (SP) leader was shot dead in his home in Uttar Pradesh`s Gorakhpur town by unidentified assailants, triggering demonstrations by party workers, police said Wednesday.
Om Kumar Yadav, 55, a member of the Samajwadi Party district unit, was killed late Tuesday inside his house in Jatepur locality. Yadav`s family rushed him to a hospital where he later died.
Police are yet to trace the assailants.
"Till now, we have not able to establish the motive behind the crime. Investigations are being carried out to identify the assailants," police inspector A.K. Shahi told reporters in Gorakhpur, some 300 km from Lucknow.
"The SP leader died of bullet injuries in his head," he added.
The murder sparked protests by a large number of Samajwadi Party activists, who Wednesday carried out demonstrations in parts of Gorakhpur demanding the arrest of those behind the killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read