Samajwadi Party leader shot dead in Gorakhpur
Lucknow: A Samajwadi Party (SP) leader was shot dead in his home in Uttar Pradesh`s Gorakhpur town by unidentified assailants, triggering demonstrations by party workers, police said Wednesday.
Om Kumar Yadav, 55, a member of the Samajwadi Party district unit, was killed late Tuesday inside his house in Jatepur locality. Yadav`s family rushed him to a hospital where he later died.
Police are yet to trace the assailants.
"Till now, we have not able to establish the motive behind the crime. Investigations are being carried out to identify the assailants," police inspector A.K. Shahi told reporters in Gorakhpur, some 300 km from Lucknow.
"The SP leader died of bullet injuries in his head," he added.
The murder sparked protests by a large number of Samajwadi Party activists, who Wednesday carried out demonstrations in parts of Gorakhpur demanding the arrest of those behind the killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- WATCH: Gujarat Lions' mystery spinner Shivil Kaushik reminded us of Paul Adams - Here's why!
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm
- Photo alert! Imran Khan and wife Avantika Malik party with Ranbir Kapoor